universal? locking nut, but its right handed???

Hello,

I wanted to start from scratch with my locking nut so i looked for a cheap left handed version, i think the cheapest is about £30....for a locking nut?

anyway, i found on ebay a nut for £5 and thought that i would call on the off chance they may sell left handed versions, the guy said the nut was a universal nut and would fit left or right. looking at the pic on ebay, it looks as though all slots are equal, i thought great, nut for £5 and its gonna fit! 

got two today for £11 and they are both right handed. i am concerned that the thick string will be affected by the smaller slot and the thin string affected by the extra space? 

what should i do here, can i use this nut or is it a return and hopefully get a full refund?

thanks

simon

If it's a left handed part you're after your best bet is to unfortunately get the left handed part.

As you've noted the string slots will be incorrectly sized for the opposite strings - the bass strings will probably bind in the narrow notches and will likely suffer from elevated action due to being unable to sit at the full depth in the slots. The treble strings might be ok sitting in wide slots, but you could have issues with the strings buzzing or shifting easily side-to-side in the overly-wide slots while playing.

As far as I can tell both Schaller and Floyd Rose sell their nuts specifically for lefties or righties, and the slots are cast to match the decreasing string thickness from bass to treble in each.

i have read before that you can use a floyd rose without a locking nut but the tuning is not great. all i want the bridge to do is go down, not up (in pitch) and not necessarily a lot. either that or buy a cheap tremelo. i want to do stuff like van halen sounding bombs. would that be possible on a floyd rose without the nut or would that affect tuning too much?

EDIT, what about locking tuners, bang good are doing them for about £10 a set, right handed tuners on a left handed guitar but they would just turn the other way. i have heard you can go with out the locking nut.

Edited by simon1138