My way with the Monkey Grip

Hi..Yesterday..i went to my Boss house to do the monkey grip of my RG550 (next project after the RGX110)..i don´t have the SPACE and the tools hi has :D

Fisrt, let me tell you that this is my second monkey grip..i already did one to my "stratoacustic"...you can see here..

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php...4bb6f7bc3566c6b

the first time i did no take any pictures of the process and now i did...

After reading several time the Brian´s tutorial about it, i suposse i could do that..so i bought the both Flat Blade drills bits, 1" and 3/4 "..

I used the mesures of Brian in a blanck wood but for some reason it doesn´t come quite well.. it was a little smaller than the original..i know this because i have a BSB.. So i decided to make a template from my guitar...i just recreate the process of the template just a minutes ago :D

This is how i did it:

put my BSB over a single peace of paper and draw the shape with a pencil #2 B)

01-jembsb%20template.jpg

03-making%20of%20template.jpg

Wi a compas i found the circle of radius 1" and 3/4" taht we need to start the process.

04-template%20ready.jpg

05-template%20on.jpg

you can see in the picture above the template over the guitar and the Mark point for the holes to be drilled.

Sorry :D i did no take anypictures during the holes process, but me and my boss wwere holding the guitar for this porpose..One thing you should know i did the four holes in fron about the half way and then turn the guitar back to complete the hole because i was afraid that when the drill bit went out MIGHT can DENT the wood badlly..this way this no hapeened..and other thing you have to stop the Drill process when you reach the half way..is you leave it ON, it tends to DENT the wood too :D

The next step is cutting the rest of the wood using the Jigsaw, i use the front side of the guitar for better support

07-after%20the%20holes.JPG

08-after%20the%20jigsaw.JPG

next, ´cause i did not have any wood of 2" thick i made my suporting side other way.. . B)

09-making%20the%20arc.jpg

10-arc%20done.jpg

Now is time to flat the back of the grip.. :D

11-flatening.JPG

i went 3/4" in the depth of the bit instead of the 5/8 " that Brian use..and that was by view cos i didn´t have the BSB with me to compare... but after came home i saw it was a GOOD CAll.. :D

After a little sanding ..i finished perfect resuem this project..this is what i got B)

13-done.JPG

then i came home and put the guitar toghether again..

http://mipagina.cantv.net/jimenezr/Rg550/1...ll%20guitar.jpg

What you guys think?

BTW.. i wanted to do a liltle study... I weight the Body before the grip...

http://mipagina.cantv.net/jimenezr/Rg550/06-peso.jpg

i weighted 1.412,7 gr..and after the Grip: it weights 1.375,1 gr

So the diference is 37,6 gr .. the diference is 2,66% in Mass .. this was made purelly by the fun of it.. and to put some numbers in the head of the peole who thinks that this grip affect sound..maybe it does..but i´m quite sure you can hear it..i can´t B)

well, this have been a very long post..it takes me more than ahalf hour to write it.. B)

let me know what you people think about all this..

cheers

Cool!

I liked how your nylon string (from the other forum) sounds too :D. I've been thinking of doing that (6-string classical) with a wider 7-string neck.

sorry to thread hijack but i wanna hear it! can you post some sounds and pics please?

Cool!

I liked how your nylon string (from the other forum) sounds too :D. I've been thinking of doing that (6-string classical) with a wider 7-string neck.

Thanks ... B):D

That´s a VERY GOOD IDEA.. i never though about it.. :D

But since i´m not a "From the Wood" builder i couldn´t do that anyway..maybe in a future is a learn enough in this forum to try..but if you can get or, better yet, build a Seven string Neck, that will be fantastic..because when i use the "Stratoacustic" you get the problem of touching the other string when playing classical compositions..i figure that will not happen with a neck like that..no as Bigger as Clasical guitar neck but bigger than standar .. :D

if you gonna try that, please show us the work..

cheers

if you gonna try that, please show us the work..

Oh, yeah... I definately will but it'll be a very long time :D. I'm still convalescing from some health problems. So many plans, so little money! B)

oh, very sorry to hear that :D

I hope you wiil be good and healthy very soon..

sorry to thread hijack but i wanna hear it! can you post some sounds and pics please?

Ok. i had to delete the song from my Web hosting couse i barely have 5 mb of hosting..but i´l make room for puttin a least one for you to hear..

i´m gonna star a new thead about... :D

cheers