Sustainer Ideas

psw

:D Thanks Bio

But don't be put off trying stuff anyway...

When I was a kid...I got it into my head that if you spun an electric motor to create electricity (using it as a generator) if you connected it to another motor it could provide enough power to keep itself spinning...world power problems solved!

Well I made it and learn't that there are other factors involved (such as friction) but I only found that out once my brilliant idea failed and I looked to find out why.

The point is no one is to young or inexperienced to try stuff out or to contribute. The questions of people such as yourself often go to the fundumentals of a problem and make people rethink their original concepts. It's from there that inspiration is born.

However Bio is right, no one can hand the solution to the unknown and many things can't be made without the will to fail, experience, the equipment and cash!

If you have the cash and you want a pickup right, then go out and buy one, making it yourself wont be any better and will be a lot more expensive.

If you want to create something new and you cant buy it then its a long road and a lot of work

keep up the interest

psw

No, no matt

Not off the subject at all - the post says "sustainer ideas" my project just hijacked it a little...heh heh

just read back through your posts a little...

Good stuff...with your driver, how does the battery hold up with the current it's drawing? Sounds like you'd need to plug it into the wall!!!

Also what happens when you play a chord or more than one note...

Does it respond fairly evenly across the range or are some notes better than others?

If you want to see a funny experience check out the first post on this thread, I almost did a Hendrix at Monterey... :D

cheers

psw

:D

Anyone made, or have links to individual undersaddle piezo pickups (say for a strat). I may need a system of hex pickups for the hex drivers if LK and me can't splitt the signal electronically...

Must be individual pickups for each string...

Also...most recent Hex Driver Pic last post page 14

:DIs it just me or is monkey's link going nowhere? B)

Thanks Bio, yes I'm really proud. This stuff doesn't come easy though. Twice the number of components than ended up in it were destroyed modifying them for this pickup alone...

There is a switch that could be operated by the heel of your hand to add feedback to notes on the fly, rather than being simply on or off. There are six dots that could be considered pole pieces (there not by the way) over which the strings pass. The other two dots either side of this are disguised red LED's that look way cool when the device is operated.

The little CP9x is simply a single string driver. Most of my prototypes are made in this format, then simply moved from string to string to test it's effectiveness.

This Hex version is simply six of these drivers, one for each string with a special configuration to avoid magnetic crosstalk.

It's quite a commitment to make these prototypes so I use them to test other ideas for constructing them. This one is housed in solid polished aluminium and kind of forms the jig to make it. Aluminium, by the way has special magnetic properties, it's not simply non-magnetic, it's actually very slightly anti-magnetic and this feature is used in part for this purpose and another very important one that I'll leave you to guess at...

I'll quit with the ads for this page 14, sorry (actually just trying to get the thread back on track) and because I'm already moving onto another angle already from what I've learn't from this one...

Meanwhile, behind the scenes LK has been puting some thoughts into the electronics to drive this thing so hopefully they'll be some new developments in this direction

psw

P.S. I'm still interested in indvidual saddle pickups DIY stuff please, or has anyone used them and know how much separation you get with them...

psw

P.S. I'm still interested in indvidual saddle pickups DIY stuff please, or has anyone used them and know how much separation you get with them...

p.s sorry, duplicate ps's ps(w)

Bio I just realized you may have mean't the the other hex driver...

That was a test of some micro components...I've not given up on this concept but I'm going with what works...it also ties in with something LK and I are working on.

My new ideas use a hybrid so well see what comes out...

p.s.w.

No,No,NO monkey...

I'm talking D.I.Y. Individual Piezos for electric guitar...I think we all know they're out there commercially, we don't need the price list...Please try to not clutter the thread, it's long enough as it is...just sit back and enjoy it for a while while the information sinks in...

bio

One question psw, you say your hex driver is 6 single drivers for each string. Are they six single drivers the same spec, or slightly different due to the difference in the string sizes?

err...six drivers, one per string I think you mean't.

At this stage no but that maybe a factor depending on what we can do with the electronics. I didn't want to mess with too many variables. Since I know the CP9x works in this format for each string we'll see what we need to do before we mess with them.

If we get a feasable working model including electronics, I will then go back and use these electronics to fine tune the drivers. I'm experimenting with the idea of incorporating each driver into the bridge using SMD components, were talking very, very small here and supply of components can be a problem, especially in a place like Australia for small quantities. So you want to know that it's going to work before you go wild with the cash$$

cheers Bio

psw

B) Ho Ho Ho

Finally got a day to myself

Tried some tests on using my technology as a pickup...

It does work but, predictably, very directional...

This is fantastic for those who keep asking about hex pickups hexodistorto and the like...

This will be my next project for sure...

Maybe I can find someone who knows about A/D conversion so I could use one as a basic midi programmer...

That way you could plug into a computer and it would notate what ever you play and you could play it back with any sound you want...cool or what!!!! :D

The tracking probably not be so hot but for this application, who cares...

Be pretty cheap too, I'd say...

Also, done a little work with some tiny, tiny, tiny components...definitely some possibilities there....

Stay tuned

psw

I realize that Roland do make them, how to make it compatible with their boxes and synths are probably kept to themselves...

You need to look deeper than the adds if you want to get how this stuff works...

ok. Well does anyone know the patent number of the sustanic or anymore of the ebow. I searched for 2 hours straight and couldnt find one for the sustanic. The ebow is hard too but was able to get small ones that did say much. Thanks and sorry if i am troubling anyone.

All of this waiting for a hexaphonic guitar-mounted sustainer is going to be worth it.... if you share... ! :D

But in the meantime, does anyone know how to build an e-bow replica?

Greg

Ansil reckons he built one but didn't detail it as I remember... on this thread I think...discussions on the ebow featured alot early on

I'm fiddling around with a miniture one using my stuff but no luck as yet!

DW - thanks for that I knew of the FAAS saddle system but not of the synth/midi compatability...not much on the circuit board so suspect it just sends a nice clean signal that's processed in Monkey's box as he said.

I use string savers on my main strat, I'm really impressed...don't know about the $$ for me. But if you have them, spend them on this...neater than the roland and you get acoustic sound too!