i need help

hi everyone, im new to building guitars but ive collected a serious amount of info

on the subject, enough to say that im theoretically professional,

but what i plan on doing is axtending a fretboard to make it have 36 frets i plan on using a les paul kit tho

any ideas on how i can make the extended cutaway so i can actually reach these frets, il probably have to make a whole new fretboard tho

a guy made a 31 fret guitar i belive not to long ago. it was an ibanez style i think so it would right off have more finger clearence. look in the 'under progress and finished work' section.

you might have to get a piece of ebony or other fretboard wood and plane and shape it yourself. or maybe a bass fingerboard will be long enough. dont forget about that.

t

As far as i know, most kits seem to be basswood bodies wtih maple necks and rosewood fingerboards... nothing amazing I know, but with good wiring and a nice set of pickups it would still sound pretty good.

No need to go too overboard, the wood isnt -that- bad. I do remember reading though that the first batch of saga LP kits had particle board bodies... from memory that has been changed to basswood now though?

i dont know. never heard of them, sounds like alot of stuff for 150$ so just think how much they are paying/making it for. prolly 50$. is a 50$ guitar good?

probably not.

basswood top. ive never heard of using basswood on a top. its really light and thin, might be good resonance quality but the are probably using it cause its so cheap.

id spend my money elsewhere, but thats mho

Anyone know where I can get a fret calculator that can input more than 24 frets into. The one on buildyourguitar.com only does up to 24 frets. I need to know for my top secret project that Im making after my sg is finished?

I have found one but it only goes into hundredths(1/100) and I need thousands(1/1000) of a millimeter

Not that I have any experience in these matters as I haven't freted my axe yet but......

........ Cutting to 1/1000mm would be very hard if not impossible.

I could teach you how to measure to 1/4 of the wavelength of light if you want it even more accurate :D

But like I said, I have no experience so perhaps it is quite possible, good luck either way