Hardware suppliers

Hey guys!

For those who are canadians, where are you buying your hardware/tools? I'm hesitant to buy from USA stores like stewmac/allparts/etc because of customs(+ $$$ :D ). There's always www.leevalley.com for woodworking tools but its not a store specialized in guitar building like stewmac.

BTW, first post, so greetings to all. I found this forum a couple days ago and i'm still impressed by the amount of info available. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

JC

where are you located? you might be close to one of the board members? are you looking to build a kit, with a neck and your own body, or completely from scratch? do you have a basic table saw bandsaw planer jointer wood shop already or access to one?

Unfortunetly there's no substitute for the proper specialized tools, so i order most of my stuff from the US, stewmac.com , alliedlutherie.com, although router bits and other general wood working tools are avaiable from home depot, leevalley, etc.

Thanks Brian

Im located in Quebec City (yeap, i'm a french-canadian, so my english won't always be perfect B) ). Since my father is retired and he's building wood furnitures in his past time, I have access to a really nice woodshop (planer, double drum sander, jointer, bandsaw, shaper,... name a tool and he probably has it. )

About customs, I did a search on Canada Border Services Agency website(http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca) and according to this paper(http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/publications/tariff2004/ch92ne.pdf) parts and accessories for use in the manufacture of guitars are free of import taxes (have to pay 7% for GST, though). Knowing that, i think i'll order my stuff directly from US. Less trouble, more choices and exchange rate is not that bad these days :D

For now, i'm planning to build a fretless bass from scratch. CAD plans are almost done, so buying wood, hardware and missing tools is the next step.

just make sure you NEVER USE UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they charge hourendous "brokerage" ( b.s. ) fee's... i think fedex also does.. for "clearing" an item thru customs..... we're talking anywhere from 20-70$ where as with postal you'll only ever pay 5$

yes, the 7% is great :D better then my 15% hst here in NS B)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll avoid UPS for sure and use postal (anyway only postal air seems available for Canada while ordering from stewmac).

Anyone of you have ever bought hardware from warmoth? How was your "experience" :D ? I'm doing some comparison with stewmac and warmoth has better prices.

hi, im from montreal and so far ive ordered from stew-mac and guitarpartsdepot cause theres not much good store part around here.

they ship via us postal service airmail and you only pay for both canadian taxes and $5 of custom fee when they deliver on your door.

and by the way, tax are applied for the value of the parcel at the custom and dont take account of shipping charge.

ex: $50 +$15 shipping usd = $66 cad for tax calculation

:D