fanned fret system

Unless you can print to one sheet all at the same time, you will not get sufficient accuracy to use this as a fretting template. Today's printers wobble a wee bit here and there as they're printing so that the 2 sheets aren't really aligned to each other in the first place.

On top of that, even if you manage to splice multiple sheets together with what seems to be a degree of accuracy, then you have to accurately transfer them to your fretboard, the logistics of which I don't see producing a highly accurate result, either.

There are better solutions, some of which might even take a printed template into account! Indeed, a printer could be your friend; however, I think that making a full-scale replica of the fanning of the entire frets isn't the right approach if you want accuracy.

Were I to do it myself, I'd probably just measure on the fretboard; however, that's not exactly foolproof, either--

I have an idea, but it requires a detailed explanation and clear communication, which I'm not capable of right now. :D (sleepy... shouldn't even be on the forum!)

Greg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GregP, I'd still love to hear what you have to say.

In the meantime though I think I have DXF and PDF output working in FretFind 2-D, do either of those work for printing, frank?

And I'm looking for the opinion of a CAD user. Is that DXF useful for pasting into CAD drawn guitar plans or can I do better? I've never really used a CAD package more than long enough to be confused.