fanned fret system

Anyone here ever build a faned fret neck? Ive heard they are much more comfortable to play, and they dont seem like a whole lot of extra work.

but my main question is on intonation, forsomthing like that how do you calculate the bridge position? measure the scale length from the nut like you would normaly do, and just kinnda give the bridge an according tilt.

im thinkin of doing this on my bass to be. does it seem a little hard for a first time fret job?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each string has its own scale length. You might be able set them up with single nut and bridge but both would have to be custom made for the strings to run off at an angle , just make sure the scale lengths line up. Something I just might tackle for my next build. heres a little tutorial I found a while back.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/articles/novax/

http://www.novaxguitars.com/Pages/generalinfo_frame.html

I have a fanned fret neck on my "Texas Tele". It's *very* comfortable to play, but takes a few runs up and down the board when you switch over from standard frets. I'm sure a more professional player would have an easier time....like Rusty.

The two scale lengths on my Tele are:

Low E: 25.5"

High E: 24.75"

Novax has bridges, bodies, necks and entire guitars available. They also license their system (I think it's $75 per neck....something like that).

It's a cool setup, and definitely different.

The answer is "Yes".

I was interested in the system and wrote to the company, getting some VERY nice replies from the marketing manager (name escapes me right now). In a nutshell, the conversation covered:

-You can't get a discounted or free license just because it's for personal use; the main reason for this is that the licenses ARE their business. Most fanned-fret necks are made third-party after purchasing the license.

-However, you DO get one-on-one conversations with the man himself, as part of the licensing fee

-They prefer "one-string" bridges/saddles (ie. each string has its own separate mini-bridge, dunno the technical term) not only for the ease of intonating and setting up, but because there is less string "cross-talk" that way for clearer articulation; however, normal bridges should work if care is taken.

There was more, but I can't remember offhand. The guy seemed more interested in 'spreading the word' of the system rather than making a profit. Many of his suggestions were made that would have resulted in NO PROFIT for his company whatsoever! That kind of candid response was appreciated, and I respect the company even more now.

There are a couple of older threads on the subject if you do a search that contain some good information, including many theories on accomplishing it without a license (it's a really basic theory...) and opinions on its feel/response.

Greg

From Novax site:

Ralph Novak was awarded U.S. patent 4,852,450 for the innovative Fanned-Fret® design. Novax® is making the Fanned-Fret® system available to luthiers through our licensing program. Our licensing fee is $75.00, US for a single instrument paid in advance of construction. Production runs of 10 instruments or more are licensed at $55.00 per instrument. Instruments built outside of the U.S. do not require licensing unless they are sold in the U.S.

Bamm

BTW, hi all :D

Stringed instruments with different scale lengths for each string have existed long before Novax's patent, and I'm fairly certain it is possible to make multi-scale fretboard instruments that work and look much like the Fanned Fret system without infringing on the patent.

There was a long and heated discussion about this on the MIMForum but I can't find it now. A multi-scale 5-string bass was also recently posted over there, and it supposedly does not rely on the Fanned Fret concept.

How could they know if a person (like me) from the other side of the world made a fanned fret guitar? Do you guys think they could sew me if they found out? :D

it wont matter because the licensincg fee is only required for people in the U.S. so if you live in a different country, unless you are selling it in the U.S. then a licensing fee is not required, but you dont get their technicall support

No way would anybody try to sue you for using it on your own guitar. The only time they even COULD sue is if you had it as a selling point for a commercial guitar. And if you're planning on selling the guitar, you'd roll the $75 into the cost price of the guitar and pay the good chap! :D

A lawsuit would have to prove that you co-opted the design for personal gain, or that your using the fanned fret system damages his company's ability to make a profit. (and "he's out the $75 profit from the license I didn't pay for!" doesn't count)

Greg

Well....they could probably file a frivolous suit over a rediculously small amount of money....it wouldn't be worth it....but if they were cranky enough it could happen....

actually there's some weird eccentric milloinare that since he hasn't much else to do and has the resources to be stubbourn that is keeping someone tied up in legal trouble....I wish I could remember the specifics....it's one of those "why would anyone bother" type deals...a really funny read

the fanning would be automatic, as i see it, you want the first fret wire to be straight, so you angle the nut to compensate for it, then go from there, and the frets should fan out like you say, because of the same ratio, with a different overall length, i'm not 100% sure, but this sounds right.