UV lights

Maiden69

Well, I wasn't sure about it, so I asked the nice lady who runs the shop that does my wife's nails - she looked at me like I was crazy, but she was kind enough to let me look at the stuff they use. Best I can tell, it's an acrylic resin that uses a UV-activated cross-linker as a catalyst to harden it. She did say that without the UV exposure it took forever to dry, and didn't get as hard. I don't think UV would do much for a conventional solvent-based finish like lacquer, and the heat might cause the outer film to harden prematurely and become impermeable, so that the inner layers might not dry, but I could be completely wrong about that. Taylor uses a UV-cured poyester topcoat clear and gets spectacular results from it, but as I remember, the stuff is quite toxic and requires special equipment that most non-production builders would have trouble affording.

:D , that would make my life better! Igot a question, so If it takes for ever to cure and is hard on the outside but the inside feels soft, it could be that the tp cured and the inside is moist? I finish painting my LP and it sat in the sun for a few hrs... the top was hard and I wet sanded and polished 2 days later, now it's being almost 2 weeks and the top is ok, but if you press it with your nail or somenthing hard it leaves a mark that dissapears in a few minutes. And if so, can I sand with say 1000 to 1500 to let the bottom layers "breath" out.

I think the main reason for waiting before polishing is to make sure the nitro has shrunk as much as possible before you bring up the gloss. If I understand it right, nitro does most of it's shrinking in the first month or so, after which you can polish it without having to worry as much about it shrinking back and making the surface uneven again. Somebody else with more specific knowledge could probably explain this better, so I'm going to defer to the experts on this.

I don't use Nitro I'm using acrylic ( duplicolor) and I just got some of that Krylon triple thick to try it on scrap before using it on a guitar. Do I have to wait the same time for poly, Duplicolor recomends waiting 48hrs and thats the time I've waited. Any body got experience withth at Krylon stuff? From what says on the can is good, less passes to get a coat, then 30 min later you can do another coat. I just e-mailed them asking about more especific like how many coats a day I can shot, and about color sanding and polishing... Will see if they answer, Krylon website looks so girlish that I don't know now if to use it! Oh well depending on their answer I guess, and the ones hee, besides who better to give advise than somebody who have use it for a guitar?