Goin' Fishin'

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAH! That was great lucky1, thanks. All that in 10 minutes? You da man!

I don't know what it is about that blue one, but I like it too. Something about it feels right. Not with the greenish yellowish wood I have though. The black/green

looks pretty promising, I think that's the general direction I'm going to head for this one. The green one at the bottom looks like some sweet pickles my grandmother used to make. Candied pickled fish...now that's just wrong man! The first one is eerie looking, has some shock value to it I think. Well there's still time to decide on the finish and now I have some very cool visuals to help out :D

I thought about the lacewood Litchfield, just was unsure about the grain on that stuff, being oak and all. And of course the myrtlewood that I ran into just grabbed me. This piece just has a watery looking shimmer that feels right to me.

myrtlewood.jpg

Google found Steve's for me when I searched EMG pickups, but for the 5 string pickups and BQC system which looks great, it's going to be a bit high again. Am I looking at the wrong stuff here?

EDIT- ya posted the lacewood pic while I was looking up EMG stuff lucky1, haha. I like the lacewood, but not the scale carving idea. I think they would look overdone no matter what since real fish scales are really close to being smooth anyway. And I think I had better proceed with the myrtlewood and Ibanez plan that I had already. Not that the suggestions aren't great, but I need to stay on track or go crazy. I'm not terribly happy with the neck already, so that's just all the more reason to file these ideas away for the next project!

Lacewood isnt really oak.

OK that's a good thing to know. That PJ set is very cool and even comes with controls, but it looks like it's only for 4 strings. Will it work on a 5 string also?

Edit-well bonk me on the head...I just noticed that you wrote p5j and looked that up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMG PJ set (for 4 or 5-string) $156.00 $156.00

Weight: 1.00 lbs. each

how many strings on bass? is 5-string $7.00 $7.00

pickup color is black

magnet style is standard ceramic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Shipment Weight: 1.00 lbs. Subtotal: $163.00

now I'm interested!

Yeah lucky1, that's great! Only one thing to still try out on it, lol. Hate to ask for more since you've been so helpful already, but could you try it with the myrtle wood background instead of the fish photo?

I'm getting excited now, I'm just about at the point where I'm not wondering how to take care of this or that problem, or how it will be finished. Nothing left to do but run it on through! I can't run fast enough! I hope my wood arrives soon! I'm shouting and I don't know why!

Someone tell me what's the purpose of taping the trus rod when glueing the fingerboard? Is that just to keep glue from running down in the channel, or to not attach it to the fingerboard or what? From what pics I've seen it sure looks like the glue is going to squeeze back to the taped area when the clamps go on anyway. I suppose I should get THE book and see where I've gone wrong already, haha.

So what's the deal?

Yup, it's just to prevent the glue from getting in there. I think someone here said that he sometimes leaves the tape there. I did that once by mistake :D .

Nice project you've got going there. Maybe you could talk to Clavin about some sort of aquatic inlay? - he seems to specialize in that type of genre.

Heyas guitar_ed,

I don't know if you saw the line drawing in black and white but it does have a bit more fish tail look. Been messing with it all and I'm satisfied with what I have now. Do appreciate the input though, I got some great ideas from folks here and at guitar.com for this project!

Ok litchfield, for that kind of money I'm there! I may not even have to sell anything to do it! hahah!

Found the set at guitarpartsdepot for $163. Same exact price as Steves, but the depot has them in stock which always helps...so where did you find them locally, not Guitar Center I'm guessing?

Some good helpful guys on this forum I'm telling you!!

I'll give Rock City a call today, shall I tell them Litchfield sent me?

Also, would it be possible to get concentric post and rewire that system to have one volume/blend, a bass/treble and a mid/sweep? Or would this be an entirelly different kit and add on? Looks like some of the circuit is attached to the pots for EMG's electronics, but I don't know if I've seen a good pic of this particular set other than just the pickups.

Yeah I'm ignorant, educate me! :D

I was probably the one DaveQ was talking about. I always leave a small strip of tape, just enough so that glue won't go into the truss rod channel and holds good without fearing the tape will move. I did it on the Making of a Strat tutorial and is just the way I ensure no glue prevents the truss rod from moving. Don't worry about this making the fretboard not glue properly, as I have had to remove a fretboard at one time and it was just as hard to remove as where the tape had been taken off before clamping. I do it for peace of mind, to insure that even if I super soak it with glue, I won't have a glued in truss.. lol

Where did you get your truss rod again? LMI? To answer your question you need to slot it out one depth just so it ends up flush with the neck wood before you glue the fingerboard on. Yes, Titebond works really well for gluing a fretboard on, and if you ever need to take it off for some reason it's not quite as hard as other glues to remove, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bond good. If your fingerboard will be preradiused then you might want to make or buy some radius sanding cauls of the same radius to get a really nice glue bond with clamps. At least that what works for me. Good luck