Question about wood

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3127584391

If someone were to buy a slab of quilted maple that is 24" x 9-1/2" x 2-3/8" could they cut it down into one 3/8" thick piece and 8 1/4" pieces or 4 1/2" pieces and have nice grain throughout? Just wondering because if that's the case it seems like it would be worth it. But I'm new at this whole building thing so it may just be a stupid question...

Jim

Howdy,

Beautiful piece of wood, but I would express some concerns for guitar use. Concerns that some research could likely solve.

Most guitars are much wider than 9 1/2", so you would have to cut in half, and bookmark (?) it. So you would end up with a piece of wood 1 3/16" thick. I don't know what type of guitar you plan on building, but a Tele is 1 3/4" thick. So you would probably need some kind of underbody to go with it.

But enjoy the bejesus out of it.

Guitar Ed

thats called a billet.....its pretty much standard size......its meant to be resawed into book match sets..........any size thickness you need.....i like buying these, rather than the allready sized pieces, because its cheaper and i can get 4 or 5 tops out of one billet...but, you are going to need a resaw bandsaw, planer, and a drum sander to make it work