LP Style Wiring

spiteboy

Hello all - Outstanding forum

1st off let me state that I have successfully wired a typical LP setup with the volume pots functioning independently, so I don't have a problem with the schematics or following instruction. I'm not up on electronics so I'm looking for some extra advice.

1) Is there a more practical way of wiring the grounds? It seems to me that it would be more beneficial/practical to run everything to one lug as opposed to the backs of various pots.

2) Could that one lug be soldered directly to the adhesive backed copper shield?

3) What's with the little tab on the knob side of the pots? Can I cut it off or bend it? Reason I'm asking is that the tabs would come in contact with the copper shielding in the control cavity. Maybe this isn't a big deal but it's been bugging me. I'm corncerned I will be creating a ground loop issue. The thickness of the wood at the control cavity is a hair under 1/4" and I don't feel comfortable going any thinner to accommodate the tab.

Thank you for your time

Spiteboy

1) It's done for convenience (and because we've always done it that way) - you can use another star point for your ground if you find it easier without any problems so long as you remember to ground the pot cases to it.

2) For mechanical strength and reliability, a solder joint on foil isn't the most robust joint I can think of, but there's no electrical reason not to.

3) Those tabs are for locating the pots in a chassis panel (so they don't get loose and spin) - break 'em off if they get in your way. I never leave them in place, exactly because I worry about ground loops, especially in tube amp chasses, and I find a star washer does a better job of keeping the pots in place.