300k pots

unclej

my current project is going to have a dimarzio paf in the neck and bridge position (joe and fred) with a virtual vintage blues in the middle position. i understand that the early les pauls had 300k pots with their pafs and that was one of the reasons for their unique sound. any of you have any practical experience with them and if so, can you describe the difference between the 300k and 500k sound?

thanks for the response lovekraft. the fellow at allparts said, "it makes the high end a little smoother" and i assumed what you said is what he meant...i think.

you can mimick this, pretty easy. change the tone pots cap to a 1mfd. i know this sounds extreme but it has a certain sound to it that isn't completely muddy. just roll it down from 10 to 7 and play with it. a wicked little sound.

thanks ansil..did you really mean a 1mfd or a .01?

yes i meant a 1mfd.. i know it sounds weird but it shifts the whole tone range so that it eats up a bit of the highs but also takes down some of the gain. its a matter of playing with it. i used it on most of my guitars for years.

1mfd=1uf or 1,000,000pf

radioshack part no. (my personal favorites cause they are so inacutrate. i guess) 272-1055

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...t%5Fid=272-1055

272-1055.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

how did you wire it.??? it does have a great rolloff and at max resistance it will limit quite a bit of signal thats why i never turn it more than say33% down. but i also use a 1M or 500k pot too..

You can also use a 200k resistor on a 500k pot, modifying the tut on the main site.

Wouldn't that give you about 142K? As I remember, the result is always lower than the smallest of the parallel resistances. Wouldn't it take a 750K in parallel with the 500K pot to get 300K?

No, the 750k alone with the 500k pot would read 300k. i just checked the tut.

No, the 750k alone with the 500k pot would read 300k. i just checked the tut.

No offense, but isn't that exactly what I just got through saying? :D

...Wouldn't it take a 750K in parallel with the 500K pot to get 300K?...

For anybody who's interested in the math, the formula for parallel resistances is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2...+ 1/Rn, ie, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the parallel resistances.

hmmnn...do the math or let you guys do it..man, that's a tough one. :D

i finally got all of the parts in for the project that led to this thread including the 300k pots so when i get it put together i'll let you know how it sounds.

:D this is a funny thread