First time finishing

Ok I am in the midst of building a guitar from scratch. It is not built and stained but I have no idea what to do for the clear coat.

What is a good route to got for a beginner who has no professional spraying supplies and no ideal place to do the spraying?

I will get a picture of the guitar up later as well.

Welcome to the forum!

First I would suggest you use the search feature on the forum, these sorts of questions have been asked many times.

There's a painting tutorial at reranch.com and many here at project guitar.

If you're haven't answered your questions exhausting those efforts, let us know! :D

Brian

When I spray nitro lacquer, I spray outside. I used to have a small booth in the basement but it's gone now. I get the stuff from stewmac.

One possibility might be to use Tru-Oil. It's a wipe-on polymerized linseed oil that many people have been experimenting with lately. I think there's been a couple of people here who have used it and liked it. I don't think it provides as much protection as lacquer and certainly not as much as polyurethane but it's very easy to apply and seems to look very nice. I've heard that you can buy it at WalMart but I've also seen it at WoodCraft as well.

Since my wife is pregnant, I'm thinking about trying it since I don't want the fumes from the nitro anywhere near her. Polyurethane would also be out of the question. We don't want the baby comming out looking like the creatures from Mars Attacks!! :D

Welcome to the forum!

First I would suggest you use the search feature on the forum, these sorts of questions have been asked many times.

There's a painting tutorial at reranch.com and many here at project guitar.

If you're haven't answered your questions exhausting those efforts, let us know! :D

Brian

sorry about that. I didn't even see the search.

I have heard about both tur-oil and nitro. Nitro seemed to be the better quality choice but I have heard it is hard to apply with out getting "fish eyes". Is this true as I do live in souther US and it is a bit humid.

Does tu-oil have tha same problemns assiciated with it?

I have heard about both tur-oil and nitro. Nitro seemed to be the better quality choice but I have heard it is hard to apply with out getting "fish eyes". Is this true as I do live in souther US and it is a bit humid.

Just about any clear coat can have problems due to climate. Makes it very difficult to spray outside this time of year. I've been using good weekend days (very few of them I might add) and early mornings before things heat up.

Doing little things like bringing the paint and body to equal temps as the spray environment helps a tiny bit I believe. Especially if you have the body in an air conditioned location, then take it out to humidity, water will condence like a cold can of Coke!