New to this

Nouseforone

sorry if this has been posted alot before, but i finally got my emgs for my custom and looking at the wiring diagram i am easily confused..i just want it very simple(1 vol 1 tone)is there a diff in pots(like for vol and tone?)and also on the emg wiring diagram they show 1 vol 1 tone but for only 1 pickup..how do i double this? :D

hi, heres the diagram i drew up, really, the only difference is you use both pickups cables instead of just 1, here:

2pot2pickupdiagram.jpg

and im not sure, but with the pots, if you have a volumne and tone pot and the extended prong sides are facing towards eachother, then the prong that is bent into the casing is on the top of the volume pot and the bottom of the tone pot

potexplanation.jpg

see in the picture mystery pot A's bent prong is on the top? well that means its a volume pot. And B's bent prong is on the bottom, that means its a tone pot. But be sure to face them to eachother, or else it wont work. I THINK THIS IS A CHARACTERISTIC, ITS THE WAY IT IS IN THE DIAGRAM, DONT BLAME ME IF ITS WRONG lol. if anyone knows im wrong, tell me.

wow man big big thanks just a few questions..you have the two white cables soldered on top of the volume pot and then a prong it looks like but then they come out with only one to the jack, how do i do this(do i just group them together?)and when you say solder to both cap and prong do i just simply run the wire over the prong and onto the case and solder all that?

Take a look at this:

http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiag...kers_active.pdf

On page 2, there's a wiring diagram at the bottom that shows how to hook up two pickups with a switch 1V1T. If you don't want to use a switch, just use the wiring diagram for one pickup and hook up both pickups to the same spots - twist the wires together and hook 'em up. FWIW, having a switch is a much better idea.

i dont want to be a burden, but how would it look for 2 vol and 1 tone(the 2 vol kind of acting as a swtich?)and also what about the braids?is it simply twisting the two wires together?

It's the last one on the 3rd page from the link that lovekraft posted.

oh alright so just for braid i need to strip away the first layer then..anyone with a diagram:-/?

exactly

btw maiden-start work on the body i sold you?

I'm waiting to get the neck first, and I want to get a top for it too. Waiting for the money now... and finishing the one I'm working on know in the inprogress section.

I will PM you as soon as I start!

On the issue of the wiring I will suggest you do the one that says 1 vol, 1 tone 1 switch from the link that lovekraft posted! if you do the silvertone posted, you will have both pickups on at the same time. You won't go wrong with the EMG drawing. just make up your mind on what you want to do first and go from there, got a pic of the guitar you are working on ?

im going to look at the switch diarfram again, do i just need a standard 3 way switch?thats why i wanted to do 2 vol and 1 tone, but dont know how to go about that....no pics yet waiting to get all the parts still

edit:ok so i looked for a switch at stew mac and 12 bucks?!?!damn...also what wire is the 'hot wire'?its looking more easier now :D

the hot is the white(if the output comming from the pickup is the one you are rtefering), if not it's the red from the battery. but just follow the color codes on the EMG pic and you won't go wrong! here a switch for less, but if you buy localy like at Radio Shack you could get it for less. just a 3 way, (on1-both1&2-on2) switch.