Building JS-7 copy

RGGR

Haven't done much work on JS-7. Some other projects are keeping me busy.

Did plane neck blanks for RG-7 QL RBB XL though.

Maple/Wenge/Maple/Wenge/Maple. Will try to get everything glued up tonight.

neck_blank.jpg

Edited by RGGR

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To create this type of finish:

24.jpg

Linked from great photo report from Myka Guitars I was thinking using wood stain products from Cluo.

clou_waterbeits.jpg

Cluo is brandname, Bichemie Coatings is carrying in Holland. Bichemie is part of PPG.

Question now is has anyone experience with this product line. Water based pigments powder needs to be dissolved in warm water.

Edited by RGGR

• 2 weeks later...

Well...not much action on side on JS-7. All this waiting makes me lean towards this finish on JS-7, including flames.

samples.jpg

Waiting for backplates from Ibanez to arrive. Also need to order 3/8" router bit from StewMac. Not procastinating.... just waiting to bundle some more stuff in order.

Did get RGT-7 neck blacks glue-up. They're awaiting date with planer.

Also happy with winning bid on nice piece of quilted maple from Durawoods (evil*bay).

fd_1_b.jpg

With Limba body blanks in the house.....except for fingerboard....all wood is in the house to continue building RGT-7 LQ RBB XL.

Search can also start for cheap evil*bay RG7620 that will be supplier of hardware for this build.

Edited by RGGR

Nice maple. Durawoods has great stuff! That's where I got my piece from as well.

I had been eyeing evil*bay for a while now, on the look-out for the right piece of quilted maple for the project. Finally got the right piece, for the right price. :D

With reading all the great reviews of fellow builders here on PG, I was pretty comfortable ordering from Chuck. Can't say this for all vendors on the bay.

Although I haven't received piece yet......I can already say that Durawoods put some extra effort in to make sure the item would pass customs in for me most suitable way. :D

Edited by RGGR

O.K. will keep this one clean for JS-7. Will start new one for RGT-7 QL RBB XL.

I'm really getting ticked off at Serlui/Ibanez for taking over 3 months now to complete order on pair or JS backplates and trussrod cover. :D

What if it would have been a more crucial part??? This just sucks big time.

Should have gone the DIY route. Should have drawn up some back plates in Autocad and have 'm laser cut out of piece of black or red acrylic.

Maybe that's why for next project I'm going the gutted-donor-guitar-route. Well... live and learn...so to say.

Then again...should get started on fretting neck. That will make of brake the guitar.

Not looking forward to that one. B)

Promise....next post I will report progress. :D

Edited by RGGR

• 3 weeks later...

I stole flames from design on this bike. Hardly any manipulation needed.

paint3.jpg

Kinda like this one too......but on JS-7 I like to hide the flames a bit.......that they are there .....but not right in your face.... if you know what I mean.

But then again....so many people, so many preferences.

So flames more like in the background of that pic (if you look hard). sorta like ghost flames... Well im sure wat you come up with will look killer (dont blame me if it doesnt!!) and cant wait to c this done, i was looking at getting one of the EDR series and modding it, as its so much cheeper than a js. :D

BigT

So flames more like in the background of that pic (if you look hard). sorta like ghost flames... Well im sure wat you come up with will look killer

This is pic I will give the guy whom will do paint job for me, together with shown pattern.

samples.jpg

Will see how it works out. Can't say I didn't try.

i was looking at getting one of the EDR series and modding it, as its so much cheeper than a js.

I have seen that too. It has luthite body and AANJ. It looks like very comfy guitar.

Haven't seen one in real life yet......but defintely will have a better look at it when I see one.

0b_1_b.jpg

Edited by RGGR

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, there should come an end to this waiting for parts BS.

F*ck Ibanez and their customer service!!! :D

(I know this is family orientated forum, but the F word just describes exactly how I feel about the whole ordeal. B) )

I just wanna finish this guitar and play it. So I did what I should have done to begin with.....

Made myself :D and drawn up the necessary parts in Autocad (dwg to jpg conversion made lines bit blurry.....)

Control Backplate

Tremolo Backplate

Ordered the StewMac 0.090" black pickguard material, and will have the backplates watercut out of the material. Will use scrap material as routing guide when routing cavities in guitar, so killing two birds with one stone.

The JS-7 project has to make way for a much more ambitious one with wings. No not talking about my RG-7 neckthru project.......

Edited by RGGR

• 1 month later...

Few threads back (must be ages ago) ....someone commented "Are you gonna put a fineer over that headstock"

In my dumb-ass know-it-all reply I answered......Neh, why would I???

Primer, solids color, clear, and done!

Darn, am I eating my words right now. During this build I somehow must have forgotten how I was working with actual wood. A material that never dies.

What's the case.....I have been sanding and priming my headstock.....small job, not exactly easy......so primer done,......sanding......priming, sanding......all nice and flat.

Well......life get's in the way of buiding....project gets stalled for few weeks.....I check headstock again.........and I be darned. I can spot the lines between the wenge laminates and the maple. Looks like freaking Grand Canyon again.

tsssss.....what's up with this ****.

Or it's the primer sinking in a little.......(as I know some primers (read: all))....or the wenge/maple laminates are working......or combination of both.

:D

Suddenly I see the value of this remark of putting fineer on headstock.

On the primed body I see the same effect, but less pronounced.

I guess I back to sanding and priming again. Not sure how I can prevent this process from happening again. Layer of thin glass with epoxy would have worked, I guess.....at least that's what some home-builders do to get their wooden wing skins nice and smooth.

If everything works out, all remaining parts should come in this week and with proper templates, I should be able to have all remaining routing done by end of the month.

Hear, hear.......this puppy needs a date with the painters.........if I can get this priming problems solved that is.

Edited by RGGR

• 3 months later...
hey rggr,

have you seen g3 live in tokyo dvd?

joe plays the second song with his js 7 string.

check this out if you havent.

I have seen him live couple of years ago in Heineken Music Hall in Amsterdam. When playing his Candy Apple JS-7, he made remark that he still was getting lost on this new 7 string..... Funny to hear of course.....as he makes it look so darn easy.

Currently trying to locate supplier whom can lasercut 5mm RVS for me. Not alot of luck so far. Some weeks ago, a member - forgot his name - steered me in this direction in relation to routing templates.

When finding right supplier I can finish up guitar. And although my new job is bringing in lots of beer money.......it's taking up so darn much of my free time.

If you have lots of free time...you have no money.......and with lots of money, you're shot on free time...... :D:D

Edited by RGGR

• 3 weeks later...
Hey RGGR, any updates, definitly wanna see this thing coming together

Actually I did make some progress this week. I have contacted a number of laser cutting companies last week and have gotten some positive results back.

Hear, hear... :D:D

Should be able to have templates cut out in coming weeks.

When templates are done, it should be a small step getting all cavities out and completed. Although with couple of business trips and x-mass near the horizon, I see this happening somewhere in January. Next stage is final priming and sanding, and then body can be off to the painters. (Darn, will I get drunk when that happens. Something to celebrate!! B) )

The whole thing is now 80% done......but we all know this final 20% will take up 80% of the darn time.

Committed to finishing this guitar. (Just not your fastest builder on the block.)

• 1 month later...

Got a price quote back from some laser cutting companies. For cutting 3 templates out of 5mm stainless steel, they quoted me a price of over 120 Euro's. Not unexpected..... :D

Where are the days of getting things done for pack of smokes and a six pack. :D

Also with playing my new Ibanez 540P-TCFA and being impressed with feel of the neck, I do realize my JS-7 neck needs some more work. The edges of the fretboard need some more work.