need help with spray cans

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to paint. :D

So, I would need some help selecting the cans for my guitar. I don't know anything about the paint types there are and I don't understand the mumbo-jumbo in those stickys.

Here's the situation: I want to make a custom finish but the local guitar repair shop don't do this kind of stuff. I need to paint it myself...

What kind of spray cans to choose for primer, colours, etc? How many layers is enough?

And I don't want to buy the big brushing system since I'm not painting very often.

-----------

Jimbo

and I don't understand the mumbo-jumbo in those stickys.

First of all welcome...

now, this is not the way you are going to get help here with this kind of comments. This mombo-jumbo is a tutorial that somebody with a vast knowledge about finishing decided to post here because noobies like you and me keept bugging them for questions. there are 100's of threads on this topic, I suggest you do a search and read a lot before posting this kind of question.

Here is a link, read everything, since this is all you need to know. The type of paint depends on what you want to achieve. But they sell pretty good ones, also try krylon, duplicolor and the alikes. If you have spray gun, go to your local automotive shop and ask there.

Welcome to the forum JimRayden :D

Post moved so no worries that kind of thing comes up.

Anyway start out having a look around any Auto Parts place thats local. You should be able to find a variety of paints and primers that would work well together if your going to go for a solid color.

If you looking more for a translucent color then I would recommend Guitar ReRanch which can be found over in the Supply section on the main site.

Sorry, Maiden69. I didn't mean to be offensive. I like the tutorials but I don't understand the endless conversations and argues following them.

primers, nitros, acrylics, polys, what to use with what, what not to use with what, etc...

oh, and hello! B)

hmm... the jet tutorial mentions an ivory soap... is this used with guitars too?? :D

-----------

Jimbo

hmm... the jet tutorial mentions an ivory soap... is this used with guitars too??

That's in the polishing process and helps because should you make a misteak while wet sanding using a normal soap in your water it will leave a residue on the surface that will cause a new layer of paint sprayed on top to correct the problem to come out looking all wrong and in most case's look even worse then the original problem.

Well, I don't actually need to know everything about color types... I think.

Why don't you help me out and give me a list of things to online-order from a certain paint shop... you know, grain filler, primer, paint, clear, what types, etc...

I need to paint a three-colour alder solid-body (blue-black-white) and I need a list of what type of what paint to buy.

Just as a reminder, I don't mean to be rude to any helping people like it seemed from the first post...

---------

Jimbo

I already did, so did Brian, and Litchfield. I posted a link to Re Ranch, here! if you missed it. Also Brian mentioned ReRanch, and Litch gave you Duplicolor. You just type Duplicolor on th egoogle and you get hudreds of places were to buy them online, if not go to your local automotive supply ie. Autozone, PArts USA, ,Walmart etc... they have duplicolor.

Appologies accepted, but then again you want everything in a silverplater, do some research and learn a little bit, you don't need to know everything about paints, but it helps when asking questions.

Everything's ok now, I looked at Guitar ReRanch thoughly and it has no big choice and no big chance to buy wrong stuff. I read the tutorials there and I also got someone on MSN who explained the whole finishing progress to me throughly :D

So now I'm happy and won't have to bother you anymore B)

----------

Jimbo

If you're doing alser, it needs no filler. Just buy duplicolor sandable primer, I'd get grey, a small can of say snow white, and a small can of universal black. Also pick up a big can of the Truck SUV and Van clearcoat. There's your whole paint setup, for less than $25. Dont forget a rubber sanding block and some 1500 grit.