250K Pots

AlGeeEater

You would have to add a 50 ohm resistor in series but that would defeat the purpose of the pot, since it is to go from 0-250, if you add the resistor it will go from 50-300, so you will loose some top end. Lovekraft will correct me if I'm wrong. because it won't got to 0 it will stay at 50.

Now I'm certainly no guitar wiring expert but I have a basic understanding of maths and electronics. And if my maths serve me right you'd need a -1.5MOhms resistor placed in parallel with the pot for the desired effect. Sadly enough, I've never been able to find any components with negative resistance. B):D

Finding a 500k pot and a 750k resistor might be easier... :D

AFAICS two resistors in parallel can never be equivilant of a resistance above the lowest value of the individual resistors. And wiring a resistor in series will as Maiden69 says result in an unwanted shift of the pots range.

...i have 250K tone pots and iwant to turn them into 300K pots...

Two quick questions:

1) Why? The audible difference is going to be subtle, and you may not be able to tell at all, especially with a tone pot. And the only difference will be with the pot wide open - you might want to look at a no-load tone pot, which will actually make a noticeable difference.

2) Have you checked the pots you have? Most pots are built to a 20% tolerance, so you could easily have a 300K pot.

Using a 750K in parallel with a 500K pot will give you a nominal 300K resistance, but it will modify the taper quite a bit. If you decide to go that route, you might want to use a linear taper pot.

Ok,

So obviously I've been reading up on guitar electonics recently, but I gots some questions still:

1. Whats the difference between an audio taper pot, and a linear one?

2. Whats the difference between a no load pot, and... a reguar one?

:D

Basically, a no-load pot is a pot that, when at 10 or full up, 'removes itself' so to speak from the circuit completely by having a complete break in the tone circuit.. One way to achieve this is, like in the tutorial on the PG site, to scrape off some of the resistance strip inside the pot.. That way, when you turn the tone pot full up, the 2 terminals connected to the rest of the circuit (the negative and the middle usually) are not electrically connected in anyway...

Let's say you've got a normal Strat wiring.. Your tone pot should be wired at the middle and negative terminal with the negative terminal going to ground.. Ideally, when the pot is up all the way, there should not be any current flowing from one terminal to the other.. In reality, there is.. This causes some loss of treble in your sound..

A no-load pot creates a break in this circuit so that no signal flows through the pot to ground at all.. Effectively, this brightens up your tone.. :D

Oops.. Forgot to add:

Linear pot: The resistance increases linearly as you turn the wiper..

Audio/taper pot: The resistance increases logarithmically as you turn the wiper..