The Kris-man project!

OK, I've been offline for a while due to some PC trouble... damn graphics card packing in! Anyways, I've got a bit done on my project so I thought I'd post some pics :D

OK first up, my plywood template:

template.jpg

Next up, the two sides of my mahogany wood I grabbed from Arnold lavers for £40... a fair bit bigger than I wanted, but it was a left over from a big cut and it was big enough for what I needed and they gave it me for cheaper than it should have cost...

Looks a bit nasty really, but once I've planed 1/2 and inch off its thickness it looks nice :D

wood%20side%201.jpg

wood%20side%202.jpg

Next up I had a fair bit of it chopped off at my University (Sheffield Hallam, England) great bloke there, very friendly!

Next, I was in a bind trying to find a thickness planer that was wide enough, thankfully a guy who helps out with a finishing company I'd contacted offered his services to me...

So last night I payed a trip to his farm, he planed it to thickness for me and roughly cut my shape... yet again, a very nice friendly man B) £10 he charged... not a bad price really for what he did!

Here's a pic with my body, and then then the bridge I'm going to use just placed on top :D

rough%20cut%202.jpg

roughly%20cut.jpg

thanks for looking :D

OK now a few questions and opinions...

At the moment I dont know what to do next, I dont have my neck yet, the arse on ebay hasnt sent it me and isnt replying to me so I've had to file a complaint against them B) so at the moment I dont know if theres much I can do...

I want a 24 fret neck but I just cant find anywhere to get one for an affordable price, this is my first project so I dont want to spend an absolute fortune on it... but I want this guitar to be able to use for those annoying solo's that hit 23rd fret and also because I dont have a guitar with 24 frets...

any ideas where I can get one for a reasonable price? £100 is my budget really...

also... as for finishing... my original idea was a black and crimson red paint job... but I'm liking the look of the grain right now, it looks kinda sexy, and might look really sweet with a stain or a wax... just wondering how effective those can be at making a guitar look SWEET? :D

thanks guys, your all ace! :D

I love the look of a tung oil or tru oil finish, personally. Waterlox (www.waterlox.com) looks good too, and it's a less oil-look and more "hard finish" look, but wipe on. I'd definitely leave it natural mahogany. Another thing that would look really cool is to ebonize it, so it's all black but with a mahogany grain! It'd look cool like that, especially if you like the goth/studio look.

USACG is highly recommended for high quality necks, but I don't know about their prices. It seems you're not too keen on going back to the 'bay, but that's certainly one option. Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

Your upper fret access will be extremely limited. Great on originality, but the playability is where it counts. It also looks like it wont balance properly.

BTW, why didnt you route the neck pocket earlier?

I may still change the curve's to allow more access to the frets but first I still need to get a neck :D as I said I dont have one yet cus the auction on ebay ballsed up... so I cant really route out a neck point until I know how big the neck is going to be, where I'm going to place it etc...

So now my main mission is trying to find a 24 fret neck thats within my budget B)

well warmoths necks are rather expensive, and their 24 fret extensions just extend the fingerboard... is that safe? =\ I would have thought it would be better to make the whole neck longer?

anyways, they are well out of my budget... and USACG is also fairly expensive, but not as bad... but the only 24 fret they do is a 28" scale, I dont even want to attempt that with my tiny hands! lol

Just spotted this ending on ebay soon:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

Just trying to figure how crappy that neck might be, I've never heard of EKS so it's tempting to stay away from it... but for the price so far its VERY cheap even if I just sling the body and use the neck! Which I'd probably keep the body just for use with some cheap neck I may get in the future lol

Take a trip to Exchange & Mart, they've always got second hand guitars.

Pull a neck off one of them and get yourself some spare bits too :D

Exchange and Mart? that some american thing? =\ I thought you was a British laddo? :D or you mean take a trip and get an exchange and mart? which I'm guessing is something similar to Ad Mag and stuff like that?

its early in the morning, I'll allow you typo's B) cus I cant read properly at this time in the morning either... lol

Damn! buy the V. It appears to be made by the same people that make the import hacksons. Not bad. Besides, its a typical maple neck/rosewood FB. The body could be plywood, but you just need the neck. If the body is crap, you aint out nothin, or you could sell it on Ebay

EDIT: I dint think it is made by jackson's people. I think maybe samick? Either way, not a bad deal

I'm extremly tempted... but how easy is it to convert from a normal nut to a locking nut for a floyd rose? =\ thats my only concern as that definitly is a normal nut neck, and I'm going to have a floyd rose, already got the locking nut here... so is it easy to mod? can you mod? arghhh I know so little :D

yeah theres stuff on Dereks site :D I'll just have to remove the old nut and mill out the area for it to screw into... shouldn't be too hard a job I guess, I can probably get it all set up on one of the milling machines at University and it'll just do it for me in a few minutes B) wahoo...

I sent the guy an email, asking if he'd be willing to just send the neck, depends how much it goes for... if it dont go up much more then I might get the lot... but £30 for postage on like £40 item is a bit crazy... lol

thanks for the help and tips litchfield :D

Decided against that ebay auction... I had bad luck last time, and to be honest, I'd rather get a new neck... got a reply from a place I e-mailed last night:

http://www.guitarpartsonline.com/Cart/desc...350217.44.74.30

Nice 24 fret neck, 25.5" scale, maple + rosewood... and only $35 shipping for international... cant go wrong with it really and its a much nicer looking neck, and I really wanted shark fin inlays :D