Rosewood/Ebony PRS project

asm

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truss rods are not meant to twist. They are made to compensate for string tension on the neck, which is why necks sometimes need adjustment if you make a change in string gauge for example. On your type of truss rod, one rod will stay the same length while the other changes as you tighten or loosen it, making the neck bow forward or backward.

headstock lam rough trimmed and truss rod channel rough cut to be able to lay flat. not glued down just yet.

63.JPG

routing different pickup access channel, i didnt have a short enough template router bit and a template made so i just used a small forstner and will rough it out then finish by hand.

press was set on 2600rpm but it was waaaay to fast, kept burning my wood and killing the temper on all my bits. put her down to 880 rpm and let the bit do the work, def helped out alot. no smoke.

64.JPG

channels roughed out, between pickups will be a middle channel, then the bottom right of the bridge humbucker will be the access to the control cavity, couldnt come in from the top cause of clearence of the pots.

65.JPG

ghetto-chiseling a straighter path. as brittle as ebony is, it will pull a whole splinter lenghtwise off if you dont watch it and go slow. crazy grain.

66.JPG

Edited by asm

looking a bit better, dont mind the pilot holes on the forstner tho :D

67.JPG

rough sanding with 150 klingspor to rough it up a bit getting ready for glue. taking all the oils out of the top, then i'll wipe it down with denaturated alky to finish before gluing.

68.JPG

glue spread out over the top, a bit of excess is used around the edge to assure even flowout.

69.JPG

just a bit is addded to the top incase of any unseen cuts that wont get filled in with the bottoms glue.

70.JPG

Edited by asm

and so follows the panic search for any available clamps B)

made little wood protectors out of 1/8th masonite so the metal clamps that put down the most pressure wont mar the wood.

71.JPG

overhead shot.

got clamps?

wish i had some that reached a bit farther inwards.

72.JPG

and as always, stay tuned for more pics tonight :D

Edited by asm

hey asm i have a suggestion for you if you want it...next time you install a truss rod,wrap it in just a thin layer of cling wrap....then you can get your glue coverage without worrying about glue interfering with the rod

wes thats a great idea!

i do all mine this way...every since the very first one.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...