Rosewood/Ebony PRS project

asm

allright, construction starts monday. thats when i get the remainder of the parts in.

heres some pics of the wood i'll be using.

its a 22fret 25" scale PRS.

template was from guitarbuildingtemplates.com

parts:

-Planet Waves Locking/Cutting tuners. 3L3R. Black

-Black plastic binding. .090 x 1/4

-18" hot rod truss rod with 1/4" allen end

-ebony 25" scale board

-Medium-Tall fretwire 18% nickel

-Smith All Wood Epoxy will be used on whole guitar

-matching headstock slice cut from body

-scarf joint neck with added heel block for thickness

-body of guitar will be laminated ebony due to cost/availiblity of it

-no marker dots on board, only small ones on side in the binding

-Undecisive on Pickup choice yet, but might go with EMG hums.

-Bridge will be a custom one made by me, ill show the CAD files of it soon.

input needed! feel free to chime in with comments

(wood was wetted for some of the pics)

*heres the carved top piece of wood im using, its 8/4 Bolivian Rosewood (aka morado). will be ripped bookmatched*

3.jpg

*heres the back/neck of the guitar. 4/4 Macassar Ebony, real nice stuff, due to width restrictions the back will have to be laminated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

the wood looks ALOT more red in those pics than it actually is, look at the group of 3 to see the real looking brown/black tones.

Edited by asm

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonal Signature:  Fantastic applications as Guitar Tops! When used in conjunction with a  warmer sounding body-wood , transparency  & projection will be excellent. (One enhancement area in the lower and mid-treble, another in the upper bass. Sounds recessed in the lower midrange.) Will enhance the lows (Booming), as well as deliver a high range.

I got this from here they don't have the bolivian even listed, but the pics of yours look a lot like the madagascar, they advise using a warmer sounding body wood, (mahogany I guess) but if you will use ebony, I think it will still sound good, may be for a lead guitar, like Hammets guitar is made of all maple.

So that's the wood you were talking about :D . I was thinking about doing something like that pretty soon, only with indian rosewood instead. That's gonna be a stunner to be sure. I don't mind heavy guitars. I've gigged for 3 hours nonstop with my LP, and my back didn't bother me. Maybe I'll regret it when I get older. I'd say don't chamber it unless you feel like it'll be way too heavy. Good luck B)

allright, wood is cut, glued tomm. . here are some pics:

body paneling laid out for lam'ing. sucks cause i have to have 2 more boards just to get another 1" on each side for the width. ARRGGG. a bit of wasted wood but im gonna use it for odds and ends.

8.jpg

see what i mean about the width. kinda sucks.

9.jpg

neck,heel, and in-body joint mass

10.jpg

woah, just cut with a circular saw this stuff gets smooth easy and is DARK. love it, hope the body when surface sanded and hand sanded with 1000+ almost get this dark.

11.jpg

Edited by asm

wonderfull..

i made my first guitar neck Rosewood neck(Indonesia rosewood - dalbergia lafoteria)..

it really great sound..

in your pic.. my sugestion is body's wood is more good for neck.

your guitar body is all rosewood?

sounds good Stones, were you gonna go with a E.I. Rosewood body as well as a neck? if so how were you going to go about the problem of width with the available wood?

It was gonna have a two piece rosewood cap (1/4" or 1/2"). I'm nearly positive I could get that width and get it bookmatched. I still might do it sometime? Where did you get the ebony? If you wanna tell me and not everyone else you could PM me :D . Macassar is just about my favorite wood.

hmmm only way your gonna get a bookmatched cap thats like 14" wide + is to have it that thin. slight chance with a 1" board if your lucky.

what species of rosewood do you plan on using?. brazillian rosewood is the most sought after but good luck on finding anything like that in a large width.

Edited by asm

i think there is a possibility. how much would it affect it you think?

yeh, it weighs a ton allready. the body and neck blank, NOT the top, hardware, ect ect ect. weighs a bit more than my 78' ibanez LP copy.

thats 1" thick back and neck wood only.

should be interesting

Edited by asm

yes you need to add some chambers or the guitar will sound really bad. Plus this is an oily wood which makes the tonal signature somewhat different.

I would add chambers and add some type of PAF pickups you should get a decent sounding guitar then.

I have used Panga panga which is somewhat close and I hollowed out the whole body to get it to warm up. Guitar sounds good not but I even used 300k pots...

You may end up fooling around with the pots and electronics because it will be very very bright.