In Progress: Doubleneck 12/6 Strat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

It is just about done.

Finishing is done & all buffed out. Bone nuts cut & slotted (after going through 6 blanks). Pickups installed and wired up; I actually got the wiring correct on the 2nd try. The strings have been on for the better part of a month now, and it appears that the wood has finally settled down & everything is staying in tune. It is a pain to tune the 12, but what 12 isn't?

The 6-neck is a one piece neck, the 12-neck is two piece (neck+fretboard), and it was the 6-neck that needed a bunch of fussy truss rod adjustments. One adjustment for the 12-neck, it appears to be the better of the two, despite the extra string tension.

All I need to do is solder the tone cap, and I'm done.

Thanks! I really wanted the headstocks to match, and this was the only way I could think of to do it without putting tuners on the body. A string clamp with 6 set screws instead of 3 would have been better...only the clamp from the old Washburn Wonderbar trem has that feature, but they are rare as hen's teeth. This works fine though.

• 1 year later...

That was a great GOTM competition that month, too. One of the first where there was four or five truly awesome guitars and where it was truly difficult to pick a clear winner.

Yep....I'm surprised it wasn't a 6-way tie instead of a 2-way!

I noticed you are from Gaithersburg, me too. Do you get your wood locally?

Yessireebob, almost all my lumber is local. The guy I got the spalt from lives just north of Fredrick.