Lacquer on Oil?

Hey,

I'm looking to do an oil stain (light natural) on this beautiful maple top and lacewood back, and I was wondering if all natural oil stains are compatable with that Stew Mac spray on Nitrocellulose lacquer. And what are the best types of oil for this purpose? I have some old Danish oil, but I am not sure if it will work. Any help is appreciated.

Oil stains and lacquer, technically, is a disaster waiting to happen.

It 'can' be done if done properly, it's recommended to use a barrier coat of shellac in between the oil and lacquer, and let the oil dry a LONG time before applying anything over it, like 3 weeks to a month, This is the PROPER way to go about it, I'm sure others have cheated and gotten away with it, but I don't like to cheat the devil.

If not done correctly, the lacquer will delaminate from the oil, and blammo, suck guitar.

• 6 months later...
Oil stains and lacquer, technically, is a disaster waiting to happen.

It 'can' be done if done properly, it's recommended to use a barrier coat of shellac in between the oil and lacquer, and let the oil dry a LONG time before applying anything over it, like 3 weeks to a month, This is the PROPER way to go about it, I'm sure others have cheated and gotten away with it, but I don't like to cheat the devil.

Let's look at it like this:

Oil is oil is oil, right?

What is oil?

Slippery, that's what.

What kind of finish would stick to it?

Not many.

Why?

It's slippery.

Oh. :D

It's really -just- that simple.

If not done correctly, the lacquer will delaminate from the oil, and blammo, suck guitar.

:D  :D  B)

Lacquer over oil stain. It's done all the time. I'm fairly new to building guitars but have built drums for quite a while and I mix my own oil stain with linseed oil, japan drier, and oil colours(artist oil paints). I apply the stain, wait 2 weeks and then spray about 10 coats of lacquer (I'm sorry, I know you guitar guys refer to it as "nitro", but I just can't do that. To me "nitro" means nitromethane or nitros oxide). It always gives great results. Oil stains are alot more forgiving than water or alchohol stains. Lap marks are not a concern, you have so much time to work. Oil stains don't penetrate as well but they don't fade in strong light. By the way, the lacquer you buy from Stew-Mac is'nt any different that any other spray can of clear lacquer. Just grab some from your local hardware or auto supply store. Just my two cents. B)

• 3 months later...
Hey,

I'm looking to do an oil stain (light natural) on this beautiful maple top and lacewood back, and I was wondering if all natural oil stains are compatable with that Stew Mac spray on Nitrocellulose lacquer.  And what are the best types of oil for this purpose?  I have some old Danish oil, but I am not sure if it will work.  Any help is appreciated.

There is nothing like oil to bring out the figuring in a blonde finished guitar. Let the oil dry a veeerrryyy long time. I've done it and have never had a problem. :D