Ibanez Zero REsistance Trem

Hi. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want an ibanez zero resistance trem in one of my own custum axes. I mean, I REALLY want one sooooooo bad, but i dont really know anything about how i would go about putting one in. a few questions-

Does it use the old trem posts, if not then what does it use?

Does it have the same trem cavity as an edge, and if not, how differnt is the cavity?

Is there anything else important to know about this bridge before i go tackle the job of putting this kick-a$$ trem on my one of my axes....?

As you can tell from above, i REALLY want an axe with one of these trems, and i would rather have it on one of my homade swirled JEMs than on some crappy s-series that i bought from guitar center so any help/info would be appreciated.

Hi.  I REALLY REALLY REALLY want an ibanez zero resistance trem in one of my own custum axes.  I mean, I REALLY want one sooooooo bad, but i dont really know anything about how i would go about putting one in.  a few questions-
You've definitely got a fun project in front of you. :D

Does it use the old trem posts, if not then what does it use?
The ZR has it's own type of trem posts. I haven't taken apart a ZR to check that spacing/depth/etc. will match up. I'll do some checking on this with some Hoshino folks next week and let you know what I come up with.

Does it have the same trem cavity as an edge, and if not, how differnt is the cavity?
The routes are NOT the same, but I think the ZR will fit in an EdgePro route profile. I don't know about depth, but outline looks fine, with only a little bit of extra gap by the post corners.

Pic Reference 1 (S-series with ZR)

Pic Reference 2 (RG-series with EdgePro)

Is there anything else important to know about this bridge before i go tackle the job of putting this kick-a$$ trem on my one of my axes....?.
Here's where the keg gets tapped for this party.

You will have to route out the rear of the Edge-type/Floyd-type-equipped guitar body. The rear cavity for the ZR is quite different, and I think you'll need space for that 'frame'.

Don't forget you'll probably also need a new, larger, cavity cover plate.

I'll let you know what my tech buddies have to say.

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck!

Darren- it actually does use posts, but not to pivot on. Here are the ZR trem "posts":

http://www.ibanez.com/parts/2004_PARTS/el_...ages/2ZR2-B.jpg

They call them "tremolo height adjustment bolt". :-)

Regarding the top cavitiy, I think the top outline for the two styles of trems will match. Check those pics out and do some Photoshop'ing (that's what I did real quick). They seemed to be really damn close, but of course, in-hands testing would be best. Now, the routing underneath might be different....

I don't think the ZR is for sale from Ibanez as a part per-se, but the guy was talking about removing one from a GC sale special S-series and putting it in a JEM-type body.

I'll double-check on the trem system available for solo purchase.

Thans for the replies guys. I actually dont plan on buyin an axe at GC and cannibalizing it. I just emailed Rich at ibanezrules. It says he has these trems in stock, so i think i am going to have to buy one, even though i got the other half of my tuition due Oct 14th lol. i might go to GC however and take measurments as best i can on an s sereies there.