Plan on starting a Bass. What are your opinions?

Moreau

I am planning on starting a 5 string bass. My plans were to take the body size and style from my jazz bass, and perhaps change a few minor lines. My plans were to go with a bought, pre-radiused fingerboard. Any advice on this? Also, I am looking to find a bridge, but am having trouble deciding. I am looking in the $75 to 120 dollar US range. Unless there are better deals. I want this to be a quality bridge. Thanks for the input.

Salut Moreau,

My first build is also a 5-string bass. My next build will be a 4-string jazz :D

5-string jazz sounds pretty cool. Take care when you buy a 5 string bridge. They've got all kinds of string spacings out there. The one I bought is just a tad too small to play pops and snaps like i'm used too, it's going to take some ajusting.

I bought a pre-radiused and slotted fingerboard from LMII, they're pretty nice.

Have a look at my build site in my signature.

yes... there are 5 string bridges available that have the same spacing as a four string.

I can only recommend that you radius and fret your own board, even on your first build.... I did so... at the suggestion of some experienced builders... besides the fact that you should learn how to make your own board, which sounds cooler..." I built the whole damn thing by myself" or "Well I built all of it except for the fretboard- one of the most important parts"... just make sure you do it really accurately and take your time- only buy a preslot if after reading as much as yoou can about doing it yourself- if you still dont have aenough confidence in your precision... peace and good luck

Ryan

Remember, if you use standard Fender string spacing, your neck and everything associated with it (nut, neck pocket, etc.) is going to have to be approximately 20-25% wider (than a standard Fender 4-string neck). In order for it to play well, it's very important that the bridge width, nut width and neck taper all match. I know that sounds obvious, but I have several generic 5-string bridges that will not work with the Kramer neck-thru body blank I've been working on, so make sure everything fits and works together.