5 string bass

bassman

i guess my firs tpost of this did not take...... this is the first bass I built- I have since built 20- but thsoe were of someone esles design and were done for my job$

I know the design needs some "tightening" up of the lines but what do you all think? it was made and designed from scratch- but of course i did not make or design the killer hardware and pickups/eq

My Webpage

peace,

Ryan

hopefully the link is fixed now.... check it out

the bass is a headless 5 string bass

designed and built from scratch

7 piece purleheart, bubinga neck thru (hidden from top)

northwestern big leaf quilt maple top

mohagany body wings core

bubinga back of wings

24 and 4/5 fretboard rosewood

34.5" scale

hand turned amboyna burl knobs

seymour duncan "basslines" JJ active pickups- extra wide spacing between the two

seymour duncan active three band eq with slap contour (which I never use) and semi parametric capabilities

boiled linseed/tung oil/poly finish

very light and balanced with very flexible tone pallette

ABM headless hardware

Peace,

Ryan

-Very- ambitious! When you say first bass, do you mean first bass guitar, or first guitar period? The wood choice is excellent, and the body design really compliments it nicely. Congrats!

Actually, I do have one suggestion, and I don't know if this could be done even despite the finish (but I think it probably could) is to use recessed straplocks instead of strap buttons. You clearly put a lot of effort into the curves and shape of that guitar, and did a great of making it seem balanced despite the bridge and fine tuners, and the strap buttons seem to break it up a little bit; recess them, and it'll really accent the beautiful curves of the body!

skibum,

It was my first guitar, period. Thanks for the compliments... I agree I would like the strap buttons to be more discrete, however, did you notice that I have two strap buttons on the bridge side? Having two buttons on that side does away with the need for a stand, and protects the wood, while keeping it perfectly balanced while leaning against my rig. While recessed buttons are cool they would not give me the cool advantage of going standless. The buttons that are on there now are slightly oversized so Ihave not had any problems with dropping. Despite their advantages both recessed and strap locks almost always require the use of a certain strap, if you do not have that strap then you are screwed. I have not been fond of any certain strap with this bass, the 2.99 black nylon ones work great, for it is so light (only in weight not on sound) and well balanced (it will stay in a nearly vertical position hands free- should one desire such a position) that playing it for a 3 or 4 hour gig is not a problem.

peace,

Ryan