mighty mite p-90's

joemadden

hey,

i was shopping around for p-90's on ebay, and found that one can get a pair of mighty mites for $30 (or around $130 less than for gibsons, duncans, or fralins!). Anybody know anything about these pickups? Are they any good? How does the tone compare to the other brands? I've heard of mighty mite before, so maybe they're alright...?

thanks

joe

I've noticed these, too.

I'm aware Mighty Mite have a good reputation, but the low price puts me off - does it suggest that these pickups can't be much good?

Obviously the impedance (or other values quoted) give the real clue to a pickup's performance (or its power, at least) - can anyone help me to understand these values? What values should I typically be looking for in a H/bucker and a P90?

MightyMite has had a good rep in the past for quality parts. I haven't heard anything real bad about 'em. They're probably a little cheaper because they don't say "Seymour Duncan" or "Gibson USA" on them. They may be a little more microphonic or a little noisier, but for the price you probably can't beat 'em.

As for impedance, it's not always going to measure how hot a pickup is going to be. Higher impedance pickups tend to put out more power, but they can be very bassy and sound kind of woolly. Lower impedances, like the Alinico II Pro, tend to not put out as much power in volts, but are highly revered for their clarity and "clean" distortion.

Not sure about the P-90's and the humbuckers, but I use the MM alnico single coils, and I love the sound. I actually find them quieter than many of the single coils I've tried in the past. I can probably fool more than a few guitarists in my area if I rub the logo off the pickup covers.

I'll probably try the humbuckers in the future.