New Project - JS6

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. Jeremy, I'll try and document the tung oil progress on this thread. I'm almost ready. Monday I drilled the recessed output jack (pain in the butt) and last night I drilled the bridge mounting holes and drilled out the string-through-body holes. I need to counter sink the string ferrules and drill a ground wire access hole and then I'll be ready to start the tung oil finish. Should be in the next day or so. Pictures soon!

Best Regards,

Mike.

Edited by 82DeanZ

Here's the update I promised starting with the bridge and ground holes:

Bridge%20and%20Ground%20holes.jpg

Here's the string ferrules. I tried using a guide ala Guitar Frenzy, but one ferrule is a little off. Next time I'm taking the body into work and using the building crews drill press. :D

http://www.pariah-now.com/Guitar%20Build%2...%20Ferrules.jpg

Finally, the recessed output jack. Major pain to do.

http://www.pariah-now.com/Guitar%20Build%2...ed%20Output.jpg

Best Regards,

Mike.

O.K. Rob and Jeremy, you asked me to document the tung oil process so here you go. In the end I've decided to approach finishing the body just as I've done my maple necks in the past. The first thing I did was sand the entire body to 400 grit. I initially stopped at 220, but decided I wanted it to feel a little smoother. I used a rubber sanding block for most of the sanding and a small square of sandpaper and my fingers for the horn contours. Next, I attached a homemade hanger to the neck pocket. I made the hanger exactly as described here:

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge...e_guitar01.html

Here is the sanded body hanging from a hook:

http://www.pariah-now.com/Guitar%20Build%2...Tung%20Sand.jpg

Next, I poured a small amount of Minwax Tung Oil into a disposable container and used a foam brush to paint all surfaces of the guitar. I let the guitar hang for about 3 minutes and then I took a lint-free cloth and wiped off the excess tung oil all around the body. Here is what the guitar looks like after one coat of tung oil:

First%20Tung%20Coat.jpg

I am very pleased with how it looks already. I plan on doing a second coat later on this evening. I'll process it the same way as above. I'll continue doing two coats a day until I'm satisfied with the finish and then I'll buff out with #0000 steel wool and then apply a wax finish (thanks for the suggestion Frank Falbo)!

Best Regards,

Mike.

Mike, I love the way the guitar is coming so far, the only thing I will poit is (and I know that it is not going to show once put together) is the reccess rout for the pups screws, I'm kinda picky on this things! Have you decided on the piece that you will use for the control cover! I'm dying to see this thing finished! I like the tone the mahogany is taking looks a lot like Mike Mushok's guitar color!

Hey Maiden,

Yes, the color of this particular piece of mahogany is very nice indeed. And of course, my outdated 1.3 megapixel camera isn't doing it any justice either. In person it really looks awesome. I guess it is a bit reminiscent of a Mushok, isn't it?

Yes, there is a bit of router rash at the bottom of the pickup height adjustment holes. It really doesn't look as bad in person and for some reason the tung oil makes it stand out more. And as you point out, the good news is that that part of the guitar will never be seen, eh?

Actually I haven't decided about the cotrol cover yet. I need to test stain a scrap piece of flame maple to see if I like that any better than the natural look. I know your vote is for the stain! :D Maybe I can get to that tomorrow. I'll post when I figure it out. Thanks for checking in on me.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Hey Jeremy,

In the end I didn't use a grain filler. I got some good advice from forum members here and Frank Falbo gave me a really good answer to that question with regard to Ibanez guitars. He discussed several possibilities and it's his opinion that the Ibanez oil finishes such as on the JS6 are straight oil. After reading through his argument, I decided I agreed and went with staight oil. I'll probably finish with a wax coat as he suggests as well. I've got 5 coats of Minwax Tung Oil on the body so far and it's looking good enough to eat. The grain is still clearly visible (little pores), but it's not offensive at all. Looks like I'll be done with the body in a couple of days.

I still need to:

1. drill the tuner holes on the neck

2. glue in the pre-slotted Graphtech nut

3. roll the fretboard edges and file the fret ends

4. final sand and tung oil the neck

5. assemble wiring and install hardware

6. final setup

I think that's everything. Looks like at least one more week of work to do.

Best Regards,

Mike.

O.K. Maiden....I took your advice! I went ahead and stained the control cavity cover with the mahogany stain I had. I did the Drak-black-sand back technique as well. I think it looks really cool. I don't know if it looks any more or less out of place, but in either case it looks very nice. Here's a look:

Cavity%20Cover%201.jpg

I'm still bummed about the string ferrule holes being a bit out of whack. Live and learn. Here are a couple more shots:

Different view of the back

Close-up of control cavity cover

Front of body after 10 coats of tung oil

Thanks for looking.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Hey Darren,

Not intentional, but a result from not using a roundover bit to acheive the true 1/2 radius on the lower bout. I did the entire edge radiusing by hand and eye using a surform and sanding block.

Do we know if it was Rich that got that JS5 on ebay yet? That thing was beautiful. I think the Rainforest is my favorite JS followed by the Snake. I wonder what he paid for it.....

Thanks for checking in on me Darren.

Best Regards,

Mike.

I loev JS's, and your job just makes me want one even more. One question though. Did you use any templates or anything, I'm wondering how you made the body. I'm thinking of building a chromeboy because i know a place that actually has GOOD sprayable chrome. Im not a huge fan of the chrome boy but i think it would be fun. great job and cant wait to see this come together

@xebryusguitars: Have you ever used the search button on this site????

You might have found this link.

I'm thinking of building a chromeboy because i know a place that actually has GOOD sprayable chrome. Im not a huge fan of the chrome boy but i think it would be fun.

So you're not a fan of the chrome boy and just because you found a place with some GOOD sprayable chrome you are gonna build one???? :D

THERE ARE NO GOOD SPRAYABLE CHROME COLORS......you can get close.....but it will NEVER look as good as the real thing.

You might wanna do a search on Chrome boy and see what horrors come up. B)

Edited by RGGR

Nice Mike. I like how it looks, I would have lighten the brown stain a bit to match the mahogany, but it looks awsome anyway, much better than the natural, that would have stick out too much. I can only see the misaligned ferrule from one side on the link you have for the other view I can't see it! I will have to say that that oil job is turning preety nice! Keep it up, I want to see it complete!

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

I took quite a bit of time off over the holidays, but recently got back to work and finished up my JS6:

Body%20Close%20JS6.jpg

Here are a few more pics.

The whole thing is tung oiled (with additional finishing wax on body) with all black hardware. More specs:

Birdseye maple neck

22 fret rosewood neck with abalone inlays and Dunlop 6105 frets

2-piece honduran mahogany body

Planet Waves auto-trim tuners (18:1)

Dimarzio PAF Joe in neck and Fred in bridge position

Hipshot hardtail bridge

Graphtech nut

This thing feels just like my factory JS's and sounds sweet as hell. It passes my "sounds great unplugged" test with flying colors and it sustains forever. I'm extremely pleased with how this project turned out. I can't believe how much it looks like a real JS6. I don't think I expected to get this close when I started the project. Thanks to all those who offered advice and comments.

Best Regards,

Mike.