Cemetary Gates

daveq

Has anyone here learned the solo to Cemetary Gates by Pantera? I have seen several versions of tablature for it. Some of the tabs show some tapping happening during the part where the solo begins to speed up. The powertab version does not show it as tapping. The video shows him doing it without tapping also but I don't know how much stock you can put into a video in terms of how it's really played.

I've been practicing it using one hand only and it's not too bad. It just bothers me not knowing how it was actually done. Are there any Pantera/Dimebag fans here that may have seen him play it live?

I think he plays in with a wide stretch - not with tapping. I don't think he likes tapping and prefers big stretches instead (like the Cowboys solo). I've always played it with tapping and I guess what is important is the sound you get not how you get it.

I've seen him play it without tapping but instead with wide left hand stretch like someone else said. such a cool solo! I cant play it unfortunately, but all in good time... :D

Cheers,

- Dan

OK, thanks for the replies. That powertab does seem to have some mistakes in it but I can't criticize- that's tough work. People seem to really get pissy when the smallest mistake is made on them!

For some reason, I just feel a need to know how it was originally done. It doesn't matter to me in terms of how I play it (no one in the world will ever care how I play it) but it's just the way I am about these things. For example, when I found out that the fast run in the solo to "In My Dreams" by Dokken (George Lynch) was done completely with the fret hand (no tapping), I was blown away. I've tried many times to play it that way but that's just ridiculous.

Haha yeah

When i was starting out I used to think the solo from master of puppets had tapping in it... needless to say I was a bit let down when i found out there wasnt any at all :D I guess you just learn these things over time lol

Oh yeah, and if you have the same powertab for cemetary gates I have, then its damn near amazing. Yeah it does have a few mistakes, but like you said, it would be such a tough one to tab out. There is a similarily good one for Guitar Pro that I use, but I imagine someone has just copied it across B)

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to learn that solo but it is very hard and I give up to easy I guess. I have that powertab and it is really good and I dont think it could be done better unless Dime did it himself.very cool song, to bad Pantera broke up,I saw them years ago and the whole concert Phil was trying to pick a fight with people in the crowd and a 1.5 hours later they were done and said they would never come back to that city.

I hope that Damageplan comes here in the near future.