solid to hollow

RTA

ive got a epiphone les paul special, and i was wondering if its possible to carve it out and creat a nice looking semi-hollow body guitar, because im trying to customize it until it is completely original.

first of all i want to know if anyone has everyone done something similar

secondly i want to know the difficulty level of it

Sounds like a large task to me. If It were me, Remove all the hardware then I'd start by slicing the top off altogther. Don't change anything but the top, by just sanding it down by about a 1/4 inch, route out any wood inside that isn't nessesary, then find myself a nice maple top to put on. Glue it down, then With a flush cutting router bit, run it around the outside edge and neck pocket. Next you'd need to plan where you want you're pickups and if it's rear routed for the controls, it's piece of cake to hook up your pickups. Route for your pickups then drill any control locations you wanna add then it's time Put a finish on the top. if this were my first project, I'd stick to a nice easy wipe on poly, Fine sand it to 600 grit and polish. Mount all your hardware again and you should be ready to go.

Hmm... seems to me I'd either slice/ sand off 1/4" from the back so you don't have to re-carve the top, then complete Perry's instructions.

If you want to carve off the top, you could ad a killer flame or quilt top to it and re-carve that. Otherwise, if you bandsawed the back off, you could buy a nice slice of mahogany for the back; a thin piece of nice ribbon-grained mahogany would look magnificent!

Or how about this: unglue the neck, cut the top off just below the edge of the top (maple, I assume?), sand excess mahogany off the back, and then either take the current back, chamber it, and reattach the top, or just buy a new slab of mahogany for the back!

Epi LP Specials are laminated alder/mahogany so I would suggest buying a nice hunk of whatever wood you want and making a body the way you envision (hollowed, chambered, carved top, whatever!) and bolting on all of the hardware from the original body. It would be a nice project and you have the original body at you disposal for dimensions, etc. When you're done you can sell the original body and recoup some of your costs......The bonus with this plan is you can still play your guitar while you're working on the new body :D