Tiger

Nope.

Custom builder Doug Irwin. :D

The electronics in that sucker are beyond belief, one of the most complex circuits I've ever heard of, far past what anyone else is doing that I know of.

Not just a B.C. Rich type of 747 switcheroo, but way more complex than even that.

I forgot where I read about it, but it was quite intricate.

That round inlay at the bottom is removable and covers a lot of the guts.

Later on, custom builder Steve Cripes built him a few too.

I liked the Cripes models a little more.

Steve Cripes blew himself up messin' around with some home-built fireworks one fine day.

Doug Irwin recovered that guitar after Jerry died and sold it at auction for I believe $850,000.

Jerry left it to him in his will. It was contested, but he finally won out and got it over the protests of the other band members who wanted to display it in a Dead Head shrine of sorts for all the Dead Heads.

That pic must be from when it was relatively new, cuz the hardware on that thing was nazzty as crap and corroded after many many years of use, and the Coco-Bolo top had darkened considerably as Coco-Bolo does over time.

That shot looks like it was taken when that thing was brand-spankin' new, or refurbished for auction (which I doubt)

Tiger and Wolf were two of the guitars built by Doug Irwin for Jerry Garcia. They are one of a kind and were at the center of a long, drawn out legal battle over Garcia's will.

In Jerry's will, he specifically devised all of his guitars that were built by Doug Irwin to be returned to him. Garcia's family, and the band (except Phil Lesh), wanted to keep the guitars because Irwin was going to sell them.

Irwin wound up settling with the estate and receiving only Tiger and Wolf. You could probably look up Doug Irwin and see if he'd make some pickups for you, but the guitar would probably be quite pricey to build with no plans or measurements.

Also, Jerry was a good guitar player, but you'd probably have to drop acid everyday for 30 years plus have three strokes and learn how to play the guitar all over again each time just to come close to his tone :D

Actually the picture up there isn't Tiger at all. It is the Alembic guitar I saw.

Alembic Custom

Looks like they do make a standard model.

Alembic Tribute

It will only run you about $7500 US.

I found a great picture of Garcia's Cripe and Irwin guitars on the web recently. It was taken when they were in the Hall of Fame. Very straight on. You could draw a template from it.

Anybody happen to know the scale length of Garcia's guitars?

Perhaps I'm just on a Dead kick lately. (I've been playing nothing but Ripple all week.) I've been planning to draw some Garcia guitar body templates. This thread got me motivated. I just added three new bodies to my super-duper pre-alpha body template PDF generator.

Here you will find a Cripe template and two Irwin templates. Enjoy. Make sure you alter the size of the neck joint to fit the neck you are making since these are only approximate drawings.

You will also find a template based on my guitar. I built it in '96. My own little tribute.

Maybe someday I will get really motivated and add a polished version of this into FretFind.

• 1 month later...

Ama Dablam (the mountain in the inlay) is one of the most striking peaks on the planet. There is a spot in Nepal where you can stand on a rope bridge, look down 3000 ft to the bottom of a gorge, then look up 10,000 ft at the summit of Ama Dablam, with the top of Everest behind it about 6,000 ft higher.

I hope to get there someday.

• 3 years later...

I plan on starting a Wolf guitar in the next few months, I have templates on the way and I just found a local guy selling tone woods. I am picking up some purple heart from him. So I am sure I will have many questions and need a lot of advice since this will be my first build.

I plan on starting a Wolf guitar in the next few months, I have templates on the way and I just found a local guy selling tone woods. I am picking up some purple heart from him. So I am sure I will have many questions and need a lot of advice since this will be my first build.

Where did you get the templates I have always wanted a guitar like this? I kind of improvised freehand but it's not very good.

I actually haven't received them yet. Someone from this board or a board I can't quite remember, I'm on too many forums. Anyway, they were kind enough to offer me some drawings of their templates. In keeping with GD tradition I will pass them along freely when I get a chance. Be patient, that is what I have learned about trying to start a project like this. I scoured the interweb looking for info and found a good bit, but I live in an apartment and don't have room for tools and saw dust etc. SO I had to ask around for plans. Someone stepped up and are helping me out. I found some wood on Craigslist which I will be checking out next week. SO I think I am off to a good start, I have a friend who builds custom furniture and cabinets who has agreed to help as well. Hopefully it will turn out awesome.