Grounding?

AlGeeEater

Well i installed some seymour duncans into my Gibson LP B) and i dont know how or where to solder the grounds. Should i solder all the gorunds on the bottom of the volume pot, then run a wire to the bridge. Or should i solder all the leads together and run a wire to the bridge? :D

Any help would be cool. Its a 2 pup,1 vol 1 tone 3 way setup...

Edited by AlGeeEater

Holy Lord... :D

Yes, you HAVE to tie all of the grounds together. Solder them all to the bottom of the volume pot and then run a wire to the bridge. Passive guitars are grounded through the strings to YOU.

Seymour Duncan has some excellent color schematics that show all of this, too. Check 'em out.

why are passive pickups grounded to the strings and active grounded to the pots?
All pickups should be grounded to the back of the volume pot, or some other suitable star grounding point, along with the shield plane (and the bridge/strings, if you're not using EMG actives). There's nothing special about using the volume pot, it's just convenient. You could just as easily attach a large ring terminal to the cavity shield and ground everything to it, so long as all the ground leads connect to the same spot.

i just grounded my EMG's to the strings so it wouldnt buzz when i wasnt holding my knob
So that's what the kids are calling it these days!! :D If those are active EMGs, you've got a(nother) ground problem. Unless you're gigging in the Bermuda Triangle, you shouldn't need to ground the strings with active EMGs. Check for bad solder joints and reversed leads.

Okay, in the top right hand portion of the Seymour Duncan schematic for 2 humbuckers, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way schematic that's on their support website, there is a legend that explains the ground.

Ground points are usually soldered to the back of the volume or tone pots or any central ground point on the guitar. The central ground usually comes from a wire attached to the bridge of the guitar.

Bend the grounded leads on the volume and tone pots to the back of each pot and solder them to the back. Solder a piece of wire between the backs of the pots to continue the ground. Solder the green and bare wires of the pickups to the back of the volume pot. Solder the ground lead from the output jack to the same ground spot on the volume pot. Run a wire to the bridge from the back of the volume pot to ground the electronics to the strings. That's all you have to do.

Keep in mind these are usually 1/4 watt pots, so don't heat them up too much. Give them a few seconds to cool after each connection.