My Paintjob On A Voyager-type Body

From this:

voyager-01.jpg

Wood is what we believe to be a one-piece slab of Philippine Mahogany. The woodwork was a bit shoddy (the guy who made it was probably smoking some weed) and the shape really isn't my type, but it has its charm. We discarded the rest of the guitar (you should see what it looked like) and its owner asked me to repaint it. A luthier patched up the middle pickup cavity for us.

I eventually got it to look like this:

voyager-28.jpg

voyager-29.jpg

I tried to follow Brian's Material finish tutorial as closely as I could. I used lacquer from spray cans, by the way.

I have several pictures between the beginning and ending of the paintjob. I'm just a bit embarassed to show them.

Edited by Librero

Thank you.

The occasional fine scratches are still present, though.

GuitarMaestro,

IIRC, your guitar was the inspiration for us to do a natural burst at the back.

I used spray cans (acrylic lacquer). The brand is "Kobe" which is one of the brands from Thailand that's available here. I used five or six 400cc cans (cost less than US$2 each) of clear.

Well, it does have more than a few flaws...

I buffed by hand. For some reason, I couldn't get good results with a foam pad and hand drill in a previous project, so I did away with those here.

I used Turtle Wax stuff and they're actually usable. I'd want to keep an eye on this thing for a while though and see what happens.

I sprayed on a roofed, open area (my garage/yard). Why do you ask?

Because it's close to impossible to get a reflective shiny clear coat without flaws if you don't lay it down in a water cabinet....and yours looks quite good, but it could be that you have to meet it in person to see these tiny flaws you talk about....

yeah, you have to look at it more closely at a certain angle to see the fine scratches. fortunately, it doesn't bother me at all. and after a few months, i won't even be able to distinguish them from the newer scratches caused by playing, anyway. i hope my friend will feel the same way. LOL!

i'm not involved in the building of its neck, but it ought to be finished be next week. i'll post new pics when the whole guitar is done.