Control Freak

Brian

Every now and then I get the pleasure of somebody sending me something to have a look at and this thread is all about that!

Bill Jehle our own famous dancing banana avatar man sent me a copy of his latest CD called "Control Freak" and I'll have to say it is the most unique product I have ever seen on the market to date!

First of all it is a double feature CD which is a must have. One half of it is his own creative music talents which in my opinion were produced very professionally. While Bill's sound is unique and not something everyone would enjoy it did take me back to my own days of doing it all and putting my own music to tape at that time. Our styles are very similar which stunned me. Here is a break down of this part of the CD taken straight from his site:

Part 1 of control FREAK is a collection of new songs played on guitars that I built. It's a journey through a world where mind controlling robots reprogram your mind through the music on the CD - and what could more fun than that! B)

1. Destroy Puny Human

2. Thunderhead

3. Sulciforme Groove

4. The Effects Of Caffeine

5. Ready To Rip

6. Robot Dreams

7. Kawarau Bungy

What really blew me away was Part 2 where you get to watch Bill actually build the guitars he used to create Part 1. He doesn't hold back either, while many details are left out you will have a much better understanding how the home shop guitar building process works and get an idea or two that you will want to try since as a lot of us know there's always more then one way to do something. When I say he doesn't hold back I mean just that as well, if he makes a mistake or has a problem it is in there and you see how he works around it. Here is a break down of Part 2 again taken straight from his site:

Part 2 of the controlFREAK the Enhanced portion features all the build details for the guitars used on the audio portion of the CD. Mac and PC compatible.

1. Creating a Custom Logo

2. Replacing a Guitar Neck

3. Customizing a Guitar Kit

4. Building a Guitar Body

5. Building a Guitar Body & Neck (over 40 minutes of video!)

For the low price of $14 I would jump on it if I were you because you will truly have a one of a kind worlds first which is both entertaining and educational and cost's way below what any other CD (if anyone dares to try such a complicated task) would cost at market anywhere else.

If you would like to purchase one direct please visit Belly Jelly Music and enter his store.

Final word "excellent bro! :D "

I think that's the most amazing review I've ever read. B)

Thanks for the many, many, kind words on the CD. I hadn't thought about all the mistakes and workarounds that I had to do. You are right though, now that I think about it. I did all of that to let people know that mistakes are going to happen and sometimes you have to rethink how you are going to do something. Sometimes you have the wrong tool. Sometimes you can improvise. Sometimes you can't.

I think what I like the most is the fact that you play the guitar as bizzare as I do. :D

Thanks a million! I'm grinning from ear to ear! :D

The rest of the disk has a lot of the same kind of riffing. There's slight diversions with hints of Buckethead and Steve Morse. I always try to blend clean tones with distorted ones. Again, that was the point of the songs. I wanted to stretch the range of voices for each guitar to the fullest.

My favorite piece is hard to pick. Thunderhead is the most straight forward, but I also like "The Effects Of Caffeine" because it's so out there. That's the one piece that I can point to and say "that's what I sound like".

I know there's a few forum members that have a copy. Perhaps they would be better to ask about the songs. I've heard them so many times now. :D

Just wanted to update everyone. The control FREAK CD is now also available through www.cdbaby.com/billjehle. I'm still working on the connection to towerrecords.com and amazon.com. They are next...

What's cool about cdbaby is that you can order my CD along with all sorts of other cool CD's, like Bumblefoot's Uncool, all at the same time.

What's cooler than that is you can leave feedback right there on the page for the CD. Now I know a few of you guys here have a copy, so if you want to add something on the CDBaby site, that would be great.

Thanks!

I wanted to add a note to say that the first printing of the CD's is SOLD OUT! :D

I've just placed the second order for more CD's. I'd like to thank everyone here who has been kind enough to pick up a copy and to return feedback. And thanks again to Brian for leaving such a fantastic review of the CD.

Anywho... just wanted to let you know that new orders will have about a week lag time until the new CD's arrive.

Thanks a million everyone! B)