Listener's Corner...

rick_here

Wasn't sure where to post this so I picked Player's Corner. I mean, if you don't already like guitar music b/c you listened to it already...you'd prolly have never thought about playing it, right? You know---Air Guitar.

I consider myself "real lucky" to have grown-up (meaning when I was in high school & stuff) alongside the Advent of Progressive Rock Music. I'm 48 & we're talking the mid-late 60's & early 70's....

I can remember when we were listening to "underground radio" hearing Pink Floyd & Deep Purple before anyone else had even (ever) heard of them. And bands like: Hawkwind, McKendree Spring, Enerson/Lake & Palmer. GrinderSwitch, Gentle Giant, King Crimson (who are still around, btw) and others who have left their legacies. Oh yeah, did I mention: Yes? (no).

During this roughly 10 year window of the mid-60's to mid-70's some of the best "rock"music (of the best rock music) Came Out. It was progressive music of the rock-variety. Add to the mix the Rock/Jazz-Fusion "movement," shall I say? where new groups emerged mixing rock 'n roll and Miles Davis!! Groups like: Weather Report, Oregon, Chick Corea's Return To Forever & John McGlaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. (see Carlos Santana's recording: "Caravanseri")....

Yes & ELP were doing more of a Eurpopean/"Classical" Rock as others were blending in that and jazz motifs. Not to mention African time signatures...and new musical instruments being added in the soup.

Anyways, here's A Link to a decent Online-Prog-Rock Radio Station.

DA-Logo.gif

Enjoy,

rick

><>

"I consider myself "real lucky" to have grown-up"

Me too. :D That aside...

I am also 48 and in love with Prog Rock. I bought the first Black Sabbath album when "The Monkeys" were popular. After that my taste began to get more and more progressive. Big influences were Al DiMiola, Rush, Kansas, etc. These days I am diggin' the heavier stuff, but the Prog influence is always there. One of my all-time favorite bands... Dream Theater.

I find it interesting that I seem completely unable to program simple drum patterns. Thanks to Prog Rock, I'll never write a hit song. That's probably not a bad thing.

I consider myself "real lucky" to have grown-up

40 here and still waiting to grow up!! B)

I also grew up on the same stuff thanks to my bro' that's 48 now (he hasn't grown up yet either BTW!!). Had the Sabbath playing in the CD player today. I had to use the CD since all my original albums don't fit in that funny little slot on the front of my stereo. Someday I'll buy a record player so I can hear the originals scratches and all!!

The link looks great but I can't get it to play :D Keeps telling me to refresh, page not available - I get the page but no sound. I'll keep trying!!!

Yo dudes....and this is gonna have to be brief (for now).

I got fired today but that's beside the point....

As to growing up I meant it in the sense of "when I was still getting taller all the time in an earier chronological setting."

Dream Theater???

(oh yeah...them)!!!

Latah,

rick

><>

Sindlei-

Yeah!

"Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy"....(I liked that one the best). 'Need to get it again! as my "album" got lost....

FYI, Return To Forever (bio & discography from ProgArchives.com/ excellent web-source for all this stuff)!!!

bluespresence-

The link looks great but I can't get it to play sad.gif Keeps telling me to refresh, page not available - I get the page but no sound. I'll keep trying!!!

Are you at 56K? or "on dial-up?" (I am).

'A couple of things here.

First, to "initiate" Delicious Agony (get it going) you have to click on one of the "listen" links in the upper left hand column. I use the "listen at 24K" one even though my modem speed is (supposedly) 56K. The best I ever get is only about 50K so I use the 24K. Next, you have to have some kind of (online) Radio/mp3, etc., Player. Delicious Agony recommends WinAmp but my computer doesn't have enuf "power" to use it! I have RealPlayer (version 10)...which works just fine. Btw, WindowsMedia is not recommended by "DA."

So if I were you I'd download RealPlayer10 & then retry the "listen at 24K." Should work out OK. But if your computer has enuf "power" (it meets all of the WinAmp system requirements, I'd definately go with it)!

One more thing. The "DA" page continually "reloads" at once per minute, I think. You can adjust the loading-speeds to optimize yer listening & the "menu page"...Delicious Agony.

Lemme know if yer having any problems.

Bus Bob-

So we're the same chronological age then. Hmmmm....

That being so, I think I'm following what-all yer sayin.

I mean, Black Sabbath were "originally" in a technical sense of meaning "progressive rock" as they were doing something basically, new. But today they would be sort of the "fathers of metal"...a style/genre that has become "set" if you will.

Actually, I like all kinds of music. And sometime around the "Metallica" years...I kinda quit foilowing the New Stuff though I'd listen to metal radio-stations to keep up with what new bands, etc. I also subsribed to Guitar Player (mag) for current updates.

A lot could be said about Prog-Rock...a lot more.

But, check this out!

I saw Deep Purple in concert just after they went (what we called) "commercial." In other words, Smoke On The Water (Machinehead album). We had "known" Deep Purple's music for a few years before then....listening to them and other "progressive" bands on a couple FM college radio stations. "Deep Purple In Rock" was awesome!

In any event, their backup band was: Fleetwod Mac! (pre-Stevie Nicks/ post Peter Green). Guitarists: Bob Welch! and Bob Weston---who was really good! (Danny Kirwin had just left the band, btw). It was their: "Penguin/Mystery to Me" tour, both released in '73. With Savoy Brown's old vocalist....(Dave Brown, I do believe he was).

Nostalgia.....

:D

PS-

I sort of just "got turned on to" Dream Theater. A younger guy from work (about 35) found out I liked King Crimson & said, "Check out DT." So, after somewhat coincidentally hearing them on Delicious Agony...a couple days later...I went out & bought a couple of their cd's. Great stuff! (Especially what's not on the (regular ol) radio).....go figure.

Edited by rick_here

Rick, Deep Purple was my first real concert. I must have been at least 16. I drove a car load of kids to the show. Passed out behind the wheel on the way home... Nobody died. Anyway, It was the "Machine Head" tour and Rick Derringer opened. Blackmore ruled at that show. My second concert was Ted Nugent - back in the Amboy Dukes days. ZZ Top opened at that show.

Bus Bob-

As we reminisce...(not to hi-jack the thread or anything)....

I mean, all things Prog-Rock are (still) "open to this thread!"

But.

Following-up on our sub-topic, Bus Bob; I can't remember who the backup bands were for this one (back then they usually had two of em).

Ooops, I saw DP twice within a year's time. Once (the one mentioned above) it was Fleetwood Mac opening.

The other time I was in the 3rd row (and the seats went right up to the stage)...and was talking with Jon Lord (keyboardist) between songs. Ian Gillan was yapping with us too (off-mike, joking around & stuff). In any event, all's I can recall about Ritchie Blackmore in this show was that he, ummm, "Roared!" and was moving around a whole lot. One disadvantage was that they had the sound-system set up in "stereo" and this made it hard to hear Richie....even though I was close to him (but on the opposite side of where he was on the stage). He was playing that Olde White Strat of his....(not sure how the pups were set-up/ if it was his "signature, 2 pups" version?).

ZZ Top opening for Ted Nugent? Had to be their "early years." I saw the Eagles open up for Ten Years After....(same thing---before they (Eagles) made it Real Big).

So, sorry (any one else) if Mr. Bus Bob & I are talking (too much) about our "Glory Daze"....

Now back to: Yer Regularly Scheduled Thread.

:D

Edited by rick_here

i dont really know much about the whole 60's and 70's prog, i know the basics: Yes, Floyd, Rush, Deep Purple, and the like, but i do know some cool new age ones, but they're more like "prog-metal"

some cool ones:

Into Eternity www.intoeternity.com

dream theater (im sure most of the people on here already know about them)

opeth (again i know)

orphaned land

atomship (im not sure if these guys are "prog" but theyve got some of that feel to them)

dream evil (same as above, and theyve got the iron maiden/judas preist/ iced earth thing going)

thats all i can think of off the top of my head