Plan Of Procedure

Yes I don't quite know how to spell that.

Anyways, after using the school's router to finish up my telecaster project, I happened to catch the interest of the spanish teacher, who as it happens built guitars for 20 years.

Now he is showing us how to do repairs (right now I am refretting a Conn classical), and helping us design acoustic guitars which we will be building.

Now, my shop teacher is supporting this, however he is very... thoughrough (spelling again...) and he wants a "oplan of procedure" outlining what we will be doing in clear steps.

Does anyone know what exactly a plan of procedure warrants? Is this sufficent?

1. Trace design onto sheet of paper

2. Create a molding for the body

3. Bend the sides to shape

4. Cut the top and back with the band saw

5. Glue the bracings to the top/back

6. Assemble body

7. Inlay fretboard and attach to neck

8. Inlay peghead

9. Install rosette/binding

10. Finish body

11. Glue neck to body

12. Attach hardware

And yes I realize that starting an acoustic as my second build is a little... advanced, but that's ok.

If you want a great plan of action get a good book on the subject. William Cumpiano's book Guitarmaking: Tradition and Technology is one of the best. It will answer all of your questions. Perhaps you could just show it to your shop teacher.

I built my first guitar in shop class. I refused to make the birdhouse.

Why not ask your Spanish teacher for his plan of procedure? He may not have a carefully written outline of his building process, but he certainly knows his method, so he should be able to walk you through the steps. I know a lot of craftsmen who haven't ever analyzed the way they work, but they all have a defined progression of actions when they build.

I don't know about a plan of procedure, but I think what happened there with the Spanish teacher is -extremely- cool and I hope you thank that guy in some way for offering his time/experience.

PS, with a knowledgable instructor at hand, there's no issue with building an acoustic guitar first, I think that's extra cool!

You are a fortunate guy it would seem, take full advantage of the adventure and live in the moment!