Bridge Options For Tele W/ B5 Bigsby?

jay5

So I just got a Bigsby B5 style vibrato that I want to use on a project I am working on. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

I would like to avoid as much tuning difficulty as possible with this thing (wouldnt we all). I plan on using locking tuners and maybe even a LSR roller nut. What I don't know is what my options are as far as a bridge is concerned. I am NOT using the typical conversion plate as I'm going to use a Duncan JB4 humbucker in the bridge. I have seen some guys use mustang/jaguar bridges. I was thinking about one of them but my hardware (including Bigsby) is gold and I havent been able to find one in gold. I was also contemplating a tune-o-matic style bridge with roller saddles. This would be my preferred method for obvious reasons. My problem here would be weather the added hight of a tune-o-matic would require me to shim my neck to give myself some neck angle. I could recess the bridge into the body a bit (ala Carvin guitars). Does anyone have any advice in this area? I would REALLY appreciate it! Thanks guys!

They must have gold bridges for sale somewhere as they come with the gold B5 tele setups from Elderly Instruments. My Bigsby experience is mainly with Gretsch's and the rolling bridge is important (but not vital) for tuning stability. I have a tune-o-matic bridge on my Les Paul w/Bigsby and Triflow teflon lubricant on the saddles seems to be all I need on that one.

My friend's G&L ASAT Z3 w/bigsby is one of the best guitars I've ever played. It has a tune-o-matic bridge and sperzel locking tuners. The Bigsby on that guitar is also recessed into the face by approximately 1/8", this seems to help give more downward tension off the back of the bridge and reduces the chance of the strings jumping out of the saddle. It seems to me (if I remember correctly) that the tune-o-matic on that guitar is also recessed a little bit, probably to deal with the height problem you mention.

Cool, thanks for the info! I figured it had to be available somewhere. Im thinking that worst case I'll use a standard tune-o-matic with some kind of lubricant if I cant source a roller bridge. Either way I'll probably recess it.

Jory, the ariline is kind of at a standstill right now. I have a tele project that I want to finish first. I started it first. I found myself buying parts for so many projects that I wanted to do that I was neglecting the things that I actually needed to build the damn things, tools. So, I am currently refraining from buying parts to finish the airline in order to uotfit myself with some tools. Any pics of youre work so far?

Jory, the ariline is kind of at a standstill right now. I have a tele project that I want to finish first. I started it first. I found myself buying parts for so many projects that I wanted to do that I was neglecting the things that I actually needed to build the damn things, tools. So, I am currently refraining from buying parts to finish the airline in order to uotfit myself with some tools. Any pics of youre work so far?

no, and i can't get started this weekend, going to calgary. but i did recieve my neck. ill pot picks of my neck, tail piece, pickups and template when i get home hopefully. the neck is so killer. it has the airline fell but yet is different, im hoping it will distiguish my airline from the "jack white guitar".