Wizard Neck

demon

i have been commisioned to build a guitar along the lines of an ibanez jem (without the handle) The customer was wanting a body made from quilt maple, and a through neck made from a laminate of rock maple - ebony - rock maple - paduak - rock maple - ebony - rock maple. He is wanting the neck to be made as thin as a wizard neck. I am slightloy unsure whether the laminates above would be strong enough for a neck this thin. I would welcome any input that you guys have. cheers B):D

The new Wizard II Ibanez neck is made of 3 pieces of laminated maple.

Hearing your selection of woods, they are all similar or more dense than regular maple Ibanez is using. My guess that this neck will be even more suited for thin neck than original Ibanez. I see use of Rock Maple in Baseball bats......so much be for reason.

Will be one gorgeous neck I guess:

rock maple - ebony - rock maple - padouk - rock maple - ebony - rock maple.

Could change padoek for purpleheart, for even more contrast.

Edited by RGGR

ill try an post some progress pics as im going with it. What does purpleheart look like? I'd seen a lam neck on a guitar in the in-progress section, and he had padouk in the middle of his lam, and the red stripe down the middle made it look so good. There is a lot of money available for this guitar, so the ebony will be 1st grade stuff, as black as possible, so i think that the contrast in colours and tones in the wood will make it very nice, providing i dont balls it up B) The guitar is going to be kept in drop D, so my next question is, will these woods give the right character to the sound of the guitar? the neck through with the lam, and quilt maple solid body? The woods were selected pretty much on aesthetic value. :D

Does anyone knopw what the properties of mango wood are, did an image search on google to check out purple heart, and there was a picture of a box made from mango. wood looked pretty nice, but wonmdering if anyone knows anything about it (It would be for a body though, im pretty happy with the selection for the neck)

:D

What does purpleheart look like?

You're planning to build a guitar from all these nice exotic woods and you don't have clue bout some of the most beautiful ones.........not alone their tonal capabilities. :D

Do little search on the net will ya. There is tons of info available on tonal capabilities of different kinds of woods.

Matching different woods will give different flavors of tone to guitar. Making it also more complicated to predict how exactly your guitar is gonna sound.

And then we haven't even touched the capability of p-ups to change tone and character again.

Most amps with EQ that give there own flavor to mix.

For drop D some like nice clear tone wood, some like darker warm character. Maple guitar will be bright. Mostly maple is used as laminated top.

I live in a small fishing village in scotland, exotic woods are very hard to come by here, so i have never used them: therefore I am not sure what their tonal qualities are. hence the reason i joined this forum, and hence the reason i posted the question. I have mostly done guitar customisation, ie: artwork etc and havent done all that much guitar building (although I am an accomplished wood worker) I have done many pick-up upgrades, and therefore know quite well how they affect the sound of a given guitar. As I mentioned the woods were selected by the customer on a purely aesthetic basis, hence the reason I posted the question. My apologies if i sound like i am ranting, but my upstairs neighbour has been partying constantly for the past three days, i havent slept for more than 48hrs (Due to very loud jungle music pounding through the ceiling) and I am a little wired! :D Thank you however for the advice RGGR. I will look around for a different body wood, and suggest using the maple as a top.