Which Sealer To Use Under Dupli-color?

Bmachine

I decided to to test a new project with the Dupli-Color paints that some people have raved about on here.

After sanding the wood I started to spray Dupli-Color Sandable Primer. But I am finding that this primer does not work well on bare wood. I imagine it is made for application on bare metal or Bondo. I had to spray an entire 11oz can in about 10 or 11 passes and even after sanding between coats I still get a lot of grain showing.

I have been using the Parks PRO Finisher Sanding Sealer on my other projects with good success. But since it is water based I am not sure it will fare too well under the Dupli-Color which is a lacquer. What have you guys used on bare wood for this process?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Bo

I've read many warnings about using Bondo on a guitar also...

Here is a dumb question: Is the Parks S&S water based the same composition as the nitro one? (apart from the "liquid" obviously). If so this would mean that, when the stuf is dry, the water or solvents are gone, right? So at that point, does it really matter if, in its liquid form, this was water or nitro based?

Thank you very much.

Hmmm, I went to both Home Despot and Lowes this morning and between them they only have 3 choices in sanding sealers:

Parks/Pro Finisher Water base

Minwax Oil base and

Olympic Oil base

I see the Parks Lacquer S&S on the Parks web page but it seems the HDs in my area (L.A.) are not carrying it...

Any experience with the Minwax or Olympic ones?

Thanks

Dude, seriously just chill out. Its a joke...

Gosh...

Minwax is a good name but ive never used there sealers...sorry

Maiden,

I, on the other hand, was not joking. I have read some very positive things but also some negative things about using Bondo on guitars. If I remember correctly it was primarily on the mimf. A quick search returns a few things like this

"never use Bondo on wood (it just doesn't adhere well)"

"there's a woodworker's version of Bondo called Rock-Hard Water Putty. It is a powder with the consistency of flour, and it is mixed with water. When this stuff hardens, it does so just like bondo - very hard. It's dirt cheap at Home Depot or other places like that. It doesn't shrink like Bondo does."

It should be noted that there are far more positives comments than negatives, btw. But it's always good to know both sides. Note also that I am just reporting some observations here. I have not tried it myself so I have no opinion one way or the other.

Edited by Bmachine

you just have to mention mimf ... I see that place like the old people from the 1800, never try nothing that is not the standard, people like that were tehe ones that told Les Paul not to bother making a solid body guitar, since it was a waste of time!

But seriously, you can see the pics of my guitars, tell me if you can tell were the bondo is, I think that everytbody that had a bad experience with it, preped the body bad and in turn had a bad job, the prep is 90% the most important part of a good finish, if you don't take your time and make some short cuts you will have a bad finish. Make sure that whatever you use, you prep the area good, and bevel the edges to a 45 degree so that you don't get that edge on the repair when you prime your guitar. Good luck with project.

I agree with you on the mimf for the most part. Yet at the same time, many of the people on that board have built guitars that most of us can only dream of...

I agree very much on the prep of course. But the post I was actually referring to was from a guy who had been doing Bondo on cars for a very long time (20+ yrs). And he had some strong reservations about using it on guitars for some reason. But at the time, I was not considering using it so I did not copy it on my machine. Damn I wish I could find it again... Maybe somebody else read it also?

In the absence of that, as I said, I have read plenty of positives also.

Thanks!

There are two different Bondos at Lowes. There one called "home solutions" or something like that. It's meant to be used on wood. They also have the auto body filler kind. I've never tried the auto body kind on wood, but if I had to guess I'd bet that the wood adherance problem was for using the wrong stuff. The Bondo I use makes a very, very strong bond with the wood. I mixed some up just the other night. I mixed it with a small scrap piece of wood on a piece of ply. While I was waiting for it to dry I set the two pieces together. When I tried to get them apart the wood broke before the Bondo. If it adheres that well to a dusty, unprepped surface, than I'd like to see you get it to fall off my guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

The last days I have been working on Limba LP body. On bare wood I have used a Dupli-Color spray putty (they sell here in Holland). It comes in spray can and has little thicker consistancy as the primer/filler spray they also sell.

Just sanded the body down with 240.....I didn't wet the body to raise the small wood fibers and sand again with 240. I forgot about this.....I was just trigger happy putting the putty on. I sprayed on a half can.....let it dry and sanded 99% of it back again.

Major dings and dents were covered and it felt real smooth. Then I sprayed second coat on there, and to my own surprise while spraying it looked like a moon landscape again. I was really surprised about that. I thought it was smooth already during the first go. I guess the spray brings out the grain and dings and dents again. Must say I sanded large parts back to bare wood again...so grain would show there again, I guess....

I let it dry and sanded it back again for the second time. Now it's very smooth and very nice. This stuff applies really nice. Dries quick and sands nice and smooth....(When I got my second can in the store the guy in the store said this was the best. He sold tons of it. He told me this after I had made my purchase...so no sales blabla here.) Body is now ready for coat of Dupli Filler/Primer.

So what i learned. What I would do different next time. I guess I would have used a grain filled next time. So bare wood, sand down to 240, mildly damp wood let it dry and sand with 240 again. Use grain filler......sand down with 240 again. Then use Dupli-color spray putty to fill small dings and scratches......depending on smoothness....use other coat of spray putty or go straight to the Dupli Color Primer/Filler.

Bondo works magic too. I have used that to fill routing screw-ups before using spray putty. I guess, I'm not a pro yet, having to use all these fillers and putties. ;-)

Edited by RGGR