Cracking Body On Acoustic

I've seen quite a few EKOs that go thru the same thing. They seem to have a shelf life and self destruct after a period of time. The glue holding the bracing dries out, humidity, temperature and string tension do the rest. A slight jar on the coffee table and KABOING! off comes a piece of bracing, B) . I'm not saying you should forget about it, I'm sure it can be salvaged and even if you botch the job its no great loss. Is that a big split right down the middle of the top below the bridge? :D

Just feel around inside for loose, cracked and broken bracing. And start thinking up ways of cleaning, gluing and clamping those loose areas inside. Show us some pictures of the problem areas and we can take it from there.

I've seen quite a few EKOs that go thru the same thing. They seem to have a shelf life and self destruct after a period of time. The glue holding the bracing dries out, humidity, temperature and string tension do the rest. A slight jar on the coffee table and KABOING! off comes a piece of bracing, B) . I'm not saying you should forget about it, I'm sure it can be salvaged and even if you botch the job its no great loss. Is that a big split right down the middle of the top below the bridge? :D

Just feel around inside for loose, cracked and broken bracing. And start thinking up ways of cleaning, gluing and clamping those loose areas inside. Show us some pictures of the problem areas and we can take it from there.

Those are cracks in the finish.. Its pretty rough, but all it needs is some clear coat and some TLC. But its like a mm thick crack thats 6 inches long along the side. I can't really take a picture because I have a 1 megapixel camera..

• 2 weeks later...

thats quite odd, I've never really worked on acoustics before, except for making the occasional nut, so I thought id look at the posts to see if some of my questions can be answered before i need to ask them. This is the first post i looked at, I just got an EKO guitar that looks identical to the one in the pic you've posted (the one in the middle :D ) Its suffering from the same problem, the finish on the neck is cracked to hell, the finish on the back is cracked, the bridge is split and not only the finish on the top, but also the top itself is all split! My dad jst gave it to me, it has been in the bin at the back of his warehouse for months (One of the workers put it there apparently) so he gave it to me for a wee project. I have a feeling it will need compkletely rebuilt, but im gonna look at other posts before i decide on this. Just purely out of interest, i dont mean to hijack your post kevman, but do you know any background on these guitars (ie: are they any good? this one seems quite well put together, nice action and so on (despite being buggered!)) B):D

Believe it or not the company is still alive! But I think they are sticking with electrics. Care to own an Italian strat w/ a bigsby? :D

http://www.ekoguitars.com/

This link is from a message forum. If you feel like doing some sorting you can learn more. It seems to be the guitar brand that a LOT of people first started playing. B)

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=47068