Lignum Vitae

aeli

I've laid my hands on a piece of lignum vitae and it is the most amazing wood I've ever seen. It is pretty weird, because it was blue when it was raw, when I planed it, it became goldish yellow. The next day, it started to become green again. The color goes away as I wipe it with alcohol and it turns to it's yellow color again, only to start greening again in a few hours. Also the substance on the wood is sticky to an evil degree.

What is the proper way to get the resin/wax or whatever out of the wood for good?

I've thought of using it for a fretboard. It would probably really stiffen up a neck. I'm not sure how you would get the resin out of it to glue well enough though?

I've read Drak's tutorial on bleaching wood, I wonder if this would dissolve the resin in the top layer of the wood as well, at least enough to glue it?

As far as I know, lignum vitae is the densest wood on the planet, so dense it sinks instead of floats. I believe it has been used to make wooden mallets for carvers / cabinetmakers and as sole plates for wooden planes. I'm not sure what application it would have in a guitar unless you wanted to make knobs or pickup rings or something. Even a fretboard would be very heavy. If you want to try to work with it, try using mineral spirits (good for removing wax), naphtha (good for oil and silicones) or xylol/toluol/toluene (good for grease, oil). I've heard the resin/wax continues to emit over time.

Yeah, I think I'll return to good old ebony. I laid it in alcohol for a night, and most of the resin came out, but now the wood is not shining anymore and it is pretty dull :D Heh, where did I get the idea in the first place, I don't know. Also, it is not SO heavy, a few grams more than ebony as a fingerboard.

Good idea johnsilver, I'll probably go with the knobs B)