Finish

ok, this isnt my pic, but im very curious as to how this finish is acquired, ive seen it on many guitars, and it always gives me that funny feeling in my pants, i want to know how to do, im shure i can find tutorials, but i dont know what the fisnish i called. any help would be great. also, whats the point of bindings on a guitar and neck, aside from astetic?

bod.jpg

lg_moderneagle.jpg

:D

Yeah, as Algee said, the easiest way (without expensive equiptment) to achieve a burst, or something to accent the figured wood, would be to "stain black and sand back". The PRS could be bleached, then stained blue, but I'm not sure. Binding doesn't do much besides add asthetic qualities, but I think it can be used to strengthen a thin veneer top... eh. I don't know.

It looks pretty easy really.

From where I sit, the PRS looks like they dyed it blue, then sanded back (or wet-rubbed it back per Perry's way maybe) and then just shot their clear, there's no stain black/sand back/then stain blue going on in that one, it's just blue, sand back, clearcoat, done.

The fact that you can see -so- much of the wood itself is a clue, I seriously doubt they dyed it twice with anything, and the fact that there's obviously no black stain to be seen anywhere. :D