Roll Your Own Pickguard

OK, here's the deal:

I bought a Floyd Rose locking trem Strat style body off of ebay. I thought it was from a Fender, but it turns out that it isn't, as the pickguard from my HRR Strat doens't match up with this body. OK, not the end of the world. However, it looks like the run of the mill Strat pickguard will not work on this body as the contours of this body are slightly different than a Fender Strat and the distance between bridge and neck connection to body is also slightly longer than the standard Fender body.

So... that leads me to a question: Is there somewhere where I can buy some raw white pearloid pickguard material so that I can make my own? And is there any kind of tutorial on how to do that? The tutorial isn't absolutely necessary, but it might help. I'm just wondering what the best way to cut this stuff is...

Edited by Paul Marossy

You can use any material (provided adequate strength), as long as it comes in the 1/4" thickness range. As for cutting it, I would use a scrollsaw, jigsaw, or bandsaw, then to bevel the edges, use a router bit (also available from StewMac). If you don't want to buy a new bit, you could probably just sand it..

Uh, don't you mean 1/8" thick? :D

Anyhow, I was just wondering a few minutes ago about how the do the beveled edges. I figured it must be done with a router or something. Do they make some sort of gadget that you can use with a Dremel Tool?

Uh, don't you mean 1/8" thick? :D

Anyhow, I was just wondering a few minutes ago about how the do the beveled edges. I figured it must be done with a router or something. Do they make some sort of gadget that you can use with a Dremel Tool?

Yeah, 1/4", 1/8", it's all preference. You could probably go with either, depending on the material. As for a dremel bit, a router bit would work as long as you could find a way to fit it into the chuck. If you have a steady hand, you may just be able to use a grinding wheel type bit.

The easiest way to do a custom pickguard IMO is with a template and bevel bit for your router. Just make make a template of the shape you want and attach your blank material and off you go.