Lemonade From Lemons

unclej

this guitar probably turned out better than what i had originally intended. i had a black strat body that had a lot of deep dings in it so i bondo'd them and after sanding them smooth i shot a coat of white primer over the black. i then shot three coats of an off-white as my color coat.

the original idea was to drop drops of black paint from about 4-5 feet and hopefully they would make a nice splash pattern. i figured 20 or so drops in varying sizes would be pretty cool. didn't work. i had to thin the paint a bit to get it to "splash" and when i did the drops started running, especially on the arm bevel.

so i let it cure for a few days and took the old random orbital sander to it and as i started getting the splashes off i was also taking the top coat and the primer off in spots and kinda liked the effect. so i carefully went over the entire guitar, sometimes to the primer, sometimes to the black and sometimes to bare wood. when i got the look i liked i shot my clear coat and here it is.

it's not a relic nor was i trying for a relic look. i didn't even take the sanding swirls out of it but it's actually pretty cool looking in person.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1065862

Yeah, that's pretty neat. I would have had a more varying pattern to it, like the headstock, where there are more random patches of finish, bondo, and wood. Very unique though; kinda Vai-esque.

"When life gives you lemons, build a Strat"

thanks everyone...sharkey does kinda fit doesn't it?

and i think i found my sig line. :D

"When life gives you lemons, build a Strat"