Question About Scale Length

I never really thought about this before, but what happens if you take the neck off a guitar with a 25" scale and put it one a guitar that was designed for a 25-1/2" scale? Does that mess up your intonation (12th fret way sharp or flat)?

I ask because I think this is the situation that I am confronted with a body that I want to pair up with a neck that I want to use. I imagine that you want the 12th fret to be at the exact midpoint between nut and bridge, correct? Or is there ways to get around that if it's a little off?

EDIT: It seems to me that you could just adjust your Floyd Rose bridge accordingly, just need a second opinion...

Edited by Paul Marossy

...what happens if you take the neck off a guitar with a 25" scale and put it one a guitar that was designed for a 25-1/2" scale? Does that mess up your intonation (12th fret way sharp or flat)?

Yes, your intonation would be way off. More than you'd be able to compensate for at the bridge, unless you've got some kind of magical Floyd Rose that has 1/2" of travel on the saddles. (or more)

Hmm... that's what I thought. Actually, my Floyd Rose locking trem does have about 3/8" of play, but I don't think that I should rely on hoping that will work...

OK, so one more question: if I buy a neck off of ebay, let's say, how do I know what scale length it is? Or what scale neck your body was designed for?

OK, so one more question: if I buy a neck off of ebay, let's say, how do I know what scale length it is? Or what scale neck your body was designed for?

You have to ask! :D If the seller lists what guitar the neck is off of just look up that model and find out. Generally fender/squire necks are 25.5" and gibson/epiphone are 24.75". I wouldnt trust that entirely as both companies have used/use different scales on certain models. If the seller and yourself cant come to a conclusion I would avoid buying the neck.

Yeah, but I am willing to bet that the average joe selling a neck on ebay would have no idea what I was talking about...

Maybe the better route to go is to buy a Warmoth neck or similar. :D

I still have the question on the body, though. Can you determine by measuring the body what scale length neck it should have? I'm talking about a Strat style body that is apparently about 1/2" longer from neck pocket to bridge than my MIJ Strat. I'm leaning more towards a ~25" length, but I am not quite sure how to get that right on...