Anyone Built A 8 String Bass?

i got this crazy idea of making a bass guitar with 8 separate strings (not 4x2 strings). does anyone know where i could get some info and pictures of that kind of instruments? would i need 2 truss rods for a neck that's twice as wide as the regular 4 string neck or should i use one truss rod with some reinforcement?

:D i also need to desing a special bridge for it and make it myself. dunno where i could find an affordable 8 string pickup though:P

Edited by samoht

well i havent made a bass yet, but the observations i have made are that most 6 string basses have 2 truss rods, so i would do one just to be safe, as for pickups you may want to check out shamray custom guitars, they make there own pickups and are very cheap for customs (dont let the price fool you though)

Check out conklin guitars. They make 9 and even 11 string basses!

I believe warrior instruments does too. As far as I know they use single truss rods.

Good Luck :D

i didn't see any 8, 9 or 10 stringers at warrior's website. IMO conklins look disgusting.. i like the body shape of some warrior basses though. like Isabella for example.

Edited by samoht