Reshaping Headstock

It depends on how much of which part you're cutting, and the wood grain.

A lot of Fender style heads have a lot of wood that is doing nothing... especially that round part at the very top. It isn't doing anything. You can cut off the far side of that and it will not affect the structural integrity.

As for the lower curve, a lot depends on the wood grain. Most of those do nothing for the strength because 1) their grain runs parallel to the stress lines of the head, and 2) the top and bottom of that grain is cut off. In thoses cases, that fat curve is good for nothing more than holding the Fender logo.

D~s

sorry to hijack this thread with own questions... but what if i was to take a similar headstock to one in first picture and try and cut it so it was in a pointed shape, then take 3 machine heads and place them on the other side, basically making it symetrical.

wot are my chances of getting away with this proceedure?

i hear what your saying about string angles, but how important is that. on some of my guitars the strings come away from the nut at an angle. do i need precise angles or will anything do as long as the strings arent too close or cross over?

my manual recomends as straight as possible. yet i havent seen a headstock yet with strings in line with whole guitar?

that Samick Greg Bennette is not too far from id like to achieve from reshaping a normal fender style neck. strings are very straight too!

ive done some drawings and im not sure it can be done. but id still like to try. im worried that if i drill new holes the headstock will just snap under the tension.

any ideas?

even with filled holes surely theres some reduction in strength?

Depends on what you use.

Wood putty? I think it will die.

Tight-fitting hardwood dowels and glue? Much better chance of survival.

Loose-fitting hardwood dowels and epoxy? I think that's the strongest.

Results may vary. Not suitable for children with small parts.

D~s