Whats the (dis)advantages of recessing a FR trem

imikeyi

Hi

I've seen guitars that have a floyd rose tremelo and, the tremelo sits inside the body (recessed?), whereas on other guitars the tremelo sits on top, not inside the guitar.

My question is, which is is better for playability, setup etc? Apparently recessed tremelos give a lower action. I cant seen any reasons for a non-recessed tremelo though, apart from not having to route a cavity in a solid body.

Can someone explain this to me? Or have I got the whole 'recessed' idea wrong?

kind thanks

yes a floyd can sit on top without a cavity,you only have to rout for the trem block,which is a smaller hole.but without the cavity you can't pull back on the bar.it depends on your style of play.the reason some people prefer it to sit on top is because you can tighten the springs to hold the guitar solidly against the body,which means it is not free floating and is easier to tune.if you never pull back on the bar and never will,this is the way to go.if you someday may want to pull back,then you must have it recessed.i believe it is worth the extra trouble to recess it,because i love pulls and dives,but that's just me.

to clarify,there is no difference in the tremelos you mention that makes routing possible or impossible.the only difference is the rout itself.and recessing the trem does make it possible to get the strings closer to the body,but the action at the frets is based on the height of the fretboard in relation to the height of the bridge.in other words,if you recess the trem you make your neck pocket deeper to compensate,thus lowering the level of the frets to keep the proper relationship between fret and bridge height.(or you can use a lack of neck angle to change that relationship)

if you don't get what i'm saying,which you might not cause i seem unclear even to myself,you might want to read all the tutorials on the main site to get a better understanding as to the mechanics of a guitar.i played for ten years without even knowing how to adjust my truss rod.this site has helped me understand guitars alot better.read all of it.