Transistor Replacement

StratDudeDan

i've looked everywhere for a pair of BC167B NPN transistors, 'cause i'm building a fuzz pedal based on the fuzz/wah by colorsound. the schematic calls for two BC167B NPN transistors, but i definitely cannot find them anywhere.

does someone either have a link to where i could pick two of these up, or does someone know what would work in their place?

thanks in advance!

google BC167B NPN and you'll get a whole page of prospects. i did a search at digikey and was surprised that it didn't come up. i figured they had everything.

You could also try using the NTE Cross Reference search:

http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefSemiPro...Search?OpenForm

Here's the PDF file for the NTE199:

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/pdf/nte199.pdf

I bet you could also use a 2N2089 for similar results.

The most direct cross-reference I can find is a 2N5232 (available from Mouser) - the description is a low-noise silicon NPN amplifier, so a 2N5088 or 2N5089 might work OK, although they might be a little hot (high gain). After all, Keen's 6th Law of Parts Substitution states "Transistors: When in doubt, use a 2N5088. Or a 2N3904..." (see RG Keen's Geofex GUITAR EFFECTS FAQ). B) Since they're both dirt cheap, you might want to order several of each - I keep a bag of each on hand. HTH

<EDIT> Another possible substitute is the Fairchild PN100 - sorry, missed it first time around. :D

Edited by lovekraft

The most direct cross-reference I can find is a 2N5232 (available from Mouser) - the description is a low-noise silicon NPN amplifier, so a 2N5088 or 2N5089 might work OK, although they might be a little hot (high gain). After all, Keen's 6th Law of Parts Substitution states "Transistors: When in doubt, use a 2N5088. Or a 2N3904..." (see RG Keen's Geofex GUITAR EFFECTS FAQ). B) Since they're both dirt cheap, you might want to order several of each - I keep a bag of each on hand. HTH

<EDIT> Another possible substitute is the Fairchild PN100 - sorry, missed it first time around. :D

that was the most wonderful post you've ever responded to me with. thank you much, i'll probably buy maybe 10 of each of those, then play around. maybe even mix and match on the breadboard.

and high gain is no problem. the gnarlier the fuzz, the better IMO. plus, it's got a volume on the end of it, so i can go with whatever sounds awful while still keeping balance between my amp's drive, my other two distortion pedals, and my clean.

Mouser has most all the generic types in stock, sometimes in several flavors (manufacturers), and generally offer discounts starting at QTY 25. For example, they've got J201s for $.19 ea, MPF102s for $.11, 2N3904s for $.05, 2N5088s for $.09, all @QTY1, and just about any other common discrete semiconductor you might want, all in one place. Their selection of pots is pretty sucky, and they don't carry much in audio cable or really good film caps, but for transistors they rule. No tube stuff, though.