Stripping A Js

Devo

The Ibanez original finish is quite durable......so chemical removal of paint with be b*tch. Mechanical sanding will be tricky too, because of the Aerofoil shape.

Not easy.

Why do you want remove the original finish????........if you're after a refinish....may I suggest just sanding it smooth again.......no need taking all finish off.

Just sand surface smooth again, bring on primer.....resanding.....more primer, more sanding.....etc.

Unless you wanna have clear wood body and finish it off with clear.

Edited by RGGR

Good idea!

I dont want a wood finish so... as you suggested I think I will just fill the dings sand it down and prime it.. go through a few rounds of priming and sanding.

Going to go have a look around this website for a good primer... any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Steve

anything you leave on will showup in the refin and make it look like crap

Just go through (filling) primer/sanding cycle a few times and you should be able to achieve a very smooth finish. I didn't see my car repair shop strip my whole car when they repaired some dings in fender!!!

You have to go through cycle a few times to even out old finish with added primer layer and the spots that are just filled in with primer. To even everything out use multiple cycles. After 3-4 cycles the guitar should be smooth as a babies bottom.

With difficult shape like JS, you just wil have b*tch taking all the old finish off and in process ruining the delicate shape.......Just my $0.02. Here is good example of stripped JS1000. What a mess....

6c_12_s.jpg

Just saying it will look like crap is just crappy advice.

Edited by RGGR

Thanks for your advice,

Im not sure what the final finish will be, but I know there will be no wood visable. I am bothered about repairing finish cracks dings and chips.

when you say a few rounds of priming and sanding... are you sanding the primer off altogether? or at least any primer that hasnt found its way into small pits and cracks? or just sanding smooth?

will the primer Im use depend on the finish paint? I.e. some primers wont work with some paints? or can I just use some standard light grey undercoat paint?

rebuilding areas where there are large chips is it ok to use polly filla? and sand it smooth?

Sorry for the ton of questions.

Steve

when you say a few rounds of priming and sanding... are you sanding the primer off altogether?

With Bondo or other type filler fill dings, cracks....etc. (I use spray putty to this job)

Then sand everything smooth. Read: take 99% off again, only leaving putty/bondo in low areas, cracks dings....etc.

Then put first layer of primer on. Sand everything smooth again.

Mostly you will see (or feel) problem areas...and repeat proces to fix those....

Edit: Human fingers can detect uneven surfaces much better then human eyes can....so feeling surface is mostly better than just looking.

When you think you go it covered.....spray light spray of black paint on. Not solid layer but light mist......when sanding smooth.....you will see low areas (hardly detectable by hand) as areas still having black mist still on there.....

will the primer Im use depend on the finish paint?

You don't have to, but to eliminate possible problem you might wanna stay within same system. So Acrylic type primer with Acrylic type base coat...etc.

Edited by RGGR