variac.

hi,

i just wanted to know if anyone uses a VARIAC on their amp. i used one on a JCM2000 in my last band, but it seemed to me that the tubes didn't last long. am i going to ruin my amp if i use this thing? it really is nice for getting that "10" sound on "5".

Hi Speedy,

What exactly is a VARIAC?

Because the VARIAC I know is used in a light-dimmer. (correct word?)

I mean that switch in the wall to turn the lights a little low.

Perhaps you mean a heavy kind of resistor (threadwound) that sits between your amp and the speaker.

If so, if you mean that resistor thingie your tubes will wear out earlier because your amp is blasting 'full throttle'.

I used a power soak (maybe same thing) but was not satisfied with it.

Greetings

Gerard :D

Personally, I prefer to run a smaller amp flat out to achieve that sound. If you need more volume, mic it up through the PA...

:D

a variac isnt a power soak.....it doesnt allow you to run the amp at higher volume settings but lower output.....thats what a thd hotplate is for....what a variac is basically a light dimmer for higher voltages.....it adjusts the voltage the circuit sees....eddie used his at about 90 or so volts depending on the venue....because the tubes were seeing too high a signal....he felt this warmed the tone up by lowering the volts...plus it regulated the amount of voltage.....voltage that a circuit sees isnt always 110 volts...it varies......now a days, people will just use a furman ar1215 to regulate voltage and bias the amp properly.....it could eat tubes, depending on your settings...the hotplate definately does

the amount of volume a amp puts out hasnt anything to do with the watts.....a 50 watt amp isnt half as loud as a 100 watt amp.....its actually only a few decibels lower.....the formula is exponential.....so if you want a cranked sound but not ear shattering loud, youd need about a 6 watt amp

the amount of volume a amp puts out hasnt anything to do with the watts.....a 50 watt amp isnt half as loud as a 100 watt amp.....its actually only a few decibels lower.....the formula is exponential.....so if you want a cranked sound but not ear shattering loud, youd need about a 6 watt amp

Exactly. One of the best live amps I've used was a Boogie Studio .22 - it gave me the sound I was exactly after in that band - gritty for chords plus the lead channel. Must chase up the guy who's supposed to be repairing it for me...

Amp easily cut through a staccato drum kit and Peavey 300w bass amp.

:D

hi

wow, so much info, thanks. i guess i should have called it a variable transformer, because that's essentialy all a variac is. i have heard of the hot plates, but i heard they are a gimmick at best. i think i just leave it well enough alone.

is there anyway of changing the wattage of an amp? is this a very involed task? i've heard of amps that are set up to have a lower voltage, but i done want to ruin or permanently modify my amp.

the variac definatly does warm up the tone, you can tell when i have it hooked up.

thanx

• 8 months later...

on the same vein as the above topic.. but safer..

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/vint...lt/vintvolt.htm

vintac.gif

also with the corrrect transformer and some creative switch wiring you can accomplish some great tones